Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't stand it any longer, I had to shoot the 40-65 rb. Yest. Was the best day we've had since my ammo
came in. I'd forgotten the sight blade was silver and I asked for a target with a white background. I cured that
when I got home. The ammo I got was from Reeds ammo in OKC. It is 250 gr flat nose with gas checks.
I wanted to check these out and the guns function. The ammo seemed to work great, they claim it has
1800 fps vel. I only fired 10 rnds at 30yds. I'm sold on this old rifle. The other 4 rnds were just above the
target. When the weather gets better we'll see how she'll group. White sight + white back ground ain't good.
Cliff image.jpeg image.jpeg

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Sounds like Ammo and rifle work fine together. Need warmer weather so can spend more time. Have fun.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
WOW Cliff! Great rifle! My Uncle Chase had a Winchester Low Wall in 40-65. He shot silhouettes with it. He loaded his own with real Black powder and that rifle could shoot. As a kid I cut the powder patches and neck sized the brass. Then he washed his brass in hot water & soap. I spread the brass on a cookie sheet and dried them in an oven set at 200 degrees. Then I spread the brass out on a board to dry and he loaded all his ammo by hand. He cast his bullets also. That's fun shooting right there! He used Ballistol to clean the bore on his rifles and handguns. Uncle Chase traveled to Europe & Germany in the 60's collecting firearms and found Ballistol. I've been using it ever since. Hey, Good Shooting!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good looking Rolling Block!
I'm a big fan of Rolling Block Sporting models, but haven't had a .40-65 in some time, as I traded mine off on a gun deal. But I'm close to finishing up a Rolling Block, and it will be fitted with a 34" full octagon #4 weight Green Mountain barrel, and pistol grip stocks. I built mine from an old military round top action, and used the lower tang from the late 1990's Remington Rollers that was surplus. I'm also using buttstock and forearm from a Remington custom shop Roller that I purchased from Numrich. Mine is getting the metal blued and case colored presently, and hope to see the parts back by spring so I can begin shooting again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts