Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah... in spite of all the political stuff I post, I do train up at the range.

These two were shot one hand and two hand from about 45 feet (15 yards)...

I'm left handed, so I need to work a bit on pushoff with the HK...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Those targets are not shabby by any means! It is always interesting to me to see left handed shooters group slightly to the right and right handed shooters group slightly to the left. It's a balance of force/pressure and trigger finger control, I know, but interesting nevertheless.

Slightly to one side or the other will still get the job done!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Holes in a target=lead down range=great time. Very nice target. I am right handed and my groups tend to be toward the left.

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using diagnostic targets, these horizontal deviations are most likely "pushoff" (you reverse left/right for left handed shooters).

The correction is to slightly insert your trigger finger just a little bit farther on the trigger, and also double check how balanced your grip is. If that fails to correct this, the next thing to analyze is body position and alignment with the target.

I'm not a bullseye shooter, but I've coached them.

It's generally not the issue, but if corrected groupings are consistent enough (like in the Ruger target), a small sight adjustment may also be involved. The fact that I shot both of these pistols to the right tells me that's probably not the case...

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Nice range report and some good shooting!(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: mrerick

·
Registered
12,612 Posts
Not bad at all. 15 yards is a good distance for handgun shooting. In a real world scenario you would rarely encounter a longer range need to defend yourself. We generally practice from 10 feet out to around 50 feet, but will often do some shooting at 75-100 feet. A J frame gets difficult out past 50 feet, unless you can shoot it in single action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts