Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't go to bed anticipating a range day and didn't even wake up anticipating a range day but damn it .. sometimes range days just happen.

About 10am .. load the saddle bags jump on the bike and off we go. Side note ... Still lovin my V Strom

Brought the New M&P 2.0, my old S&W 28 and for giggles the Ruger Match in 10mm

Forgot it was ladies day so the joint was packed but it was only a 15 minute wait so no big deal but .. I guess ladies like to sweep???!! The two on either side of me ... 4 ladies ... swept almost every piece of my 40 brass that hit the ground. I just couldn't get to it fast enough! It was nice to hear them laughing and having a good time though and cheering each other on if it hit paper .. so ..sweep away.

Only second time out with the M&P and I brought about 60 reloads and about 20 factory rounds I had left. Gun is incredibly easy to shoot well and really pretty tame. I am giving it to whatever they did with their frame but for a plastic gun ... pretty damn nice. Still getting used to the huge amount of up front pickup but ... Nice gun!!!

80 rounds at what I call combat speed at 10 yds. No holding breath or taking some mystical bullsye stance and no realigning in the true sense between shots. fire, out to reset as the sight fall in line fire again. I call it follow the bouncing ball because I only see the big white dot out front and second its on I pull. I use a death grip so it doesnt move much which helps with speed. I think the barrage took some of my lane mates by surprise. The target is only "alright" but its good enough shooting for what I might be called upon. The one high on the forehead was part of a mozambique which I only did because i was being a duffus and having fun. Today was more a fun day than a sharpen skills day.

Ok .. then on to the 28. I am now convinced the 28 has been treated with magic fairy dust. I just dont shoot as well as the 28 makes me look like I do. I dont get it. Its big, heavy trigger pull, 2x4 for a grip but .. it is the truest point and shoot I have ever owned. The trigger while heavy doesnt have a lick of weirdness anywhere through the really short stroke. Smooth like butter especially after my thorough clean and oil. It really does put bullets where you will them because I swear my sights arent aligned and then ... bang .. Im making wee bitty holes with no effort.
This is the first 6 shots today at about 8 yds after not touching this gun for about 2 months. Quick but not combat speed.

Now I haven't fired any full on .357 through my baby yet. She is getting on in years and it looked like it was either little used or never used so I wanted to bring her from her slumber slowly. Today was the christening. 3 cylinders of some pretty hot stuff and she screamed ... Daddy is that all you got!!

Maybe I was over cautious but even with the hot 158 grain 357 the gun is a pleasure. Everything about it is magic and I am glad I got to experience it before I left the planet. Feel bad for the dude that stored it for nearly 40 years and didnt play with it. Its a trip!

Made the mistake of shooting the ruger 10mm after the smith. The ruger came with an outstanding smooth trigger right from the factory. Far better than any trigger on any ruger I have ever owned but you really notice how much longer the pull is after firing the smith and it took about 2 cylinders for me to get the mojo going and be able to make a ragged hole. Still a little rear sight adjustment and I cleared out a box of ammo and even managed a few cylinders with some speed.

What started out as a pretty "meh" day ... fixed all up with some nice guns and a few boxes of ammo. Of course .. I gotta clean them all now! :confused:

·
Registered
19,703 Posts
Took my O/U to the local club for some sporting clays practice after painting the pole barn posts..........good to get out and blast some paper or clays or steel.........

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Good shooting, as usual. I had to laugh at the "ladies like to sweep" comment. One time when my friend R. and I were at the range and the lower range was occupied so we had to shoot on the upper, all steel range, a man came. We always offer to share any range, and at the steel range all you have to do is pick the targets you want to play with so you don't get in each other's way. WELL, this guy said it was OK - we should go ahead and shoot. AND then he proceeded to pick up every single piece of brass that was not already past the shooting line! That's OK. It saved R. and me some sweeping time when we were finished!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good shooting, as usual. I had to laugh at the "ladies like to sweep" comment. One time when my friend R. and I were at the range and the lower range was occupied so we had to shoot on the upper, all steel range, a man came. We always offer to share any range, and at the steel range all you have to do is pick the targets you want to play with so you don't get in each other's way. WELL, this guy said it was OK - we should go ahead and shoot. AND then he proceeded to pick up every single piece of brass that was not already past the shooting line! That's OK. It saved R. and me some sweeping time when we were finished!
It was actually funny and kind of endearing. They were all four new shooters still having lots of fun. It was definitely "girls morning out."

It's an indoor range so you are asked to sweep your brass forward of the line. Unless you are shooting a ton most people do it as part of their pack up routine.

Not these ladies! Send a mag down range ... sweep,sweep,sweep chatter sweep. More chatter and laughing .. then another mag .. repeat.

Sometimes I think us men folk should pay mind and learn a thing or two. There is a reason we usually pass on first.

So forty pieces of brass I have already loaded 3 times instead of being a confrontational jerk and ruining their good mojo ... brass well spent!

·
Registered
27,090 Posts
Great shooting indeed! Thanks for the pics and report! Always a great day at the range.:cool:

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
FUN TIMES!

Reactions: Boriqua and Curt360
1 - 8 of 8 Posts