Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a camp utility knife that I would appreciate any information on. It was made of carbon steel by Ralph (?) Bone and is stamped with a "Dog Bone" mark on the blade. The other side is stamped with L630 (model #?).

Does anyone know anything about this knifemaker and approx. when it was made?

Dog Bone Stamp

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
All I can say about the maker is that he has a exceptional eye. That blade is very reminiscent of a Scagel (when he was at the boatyard) or early Beau Randall....

Hold onto it. All it needs is the leather transition and a bone handle and it would be a very expensive knife....IMHO....

Giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Ralph Bone was a custom knife maker from Lubbock Tx. He's been gone for awhile, don't know exactly how long, but his work is sought after highly. Your knife is worth alot of money. So I would not let that one go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
RB also lived in North Fl.in the 60's not only a good knifemaker but also a good Martial Artist.Handled a few of his early knives.HE MADE SOME GREAT USING KNIVES.You have a really nice using knife....hope you enjoy it!
Jim

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that information, Jim! Florida and 1960s are very likely likely the place and time frame it was originally acquired.

I know that knives often wander far away from where they were built, but how did custom knifemakers spread the word about their creations before gun and knife shows were so prevalent?

I don't believe that it's ever been used because I have another utility knife of similar size that has a slightly different handle design that I prefer. My son says that he really wants it because of who it belonged to before we acquired it, so I will stick it in the safe until he gets a permanent assignment and a proper place to keep it.

I just googled Ralph Bone and got a lot of information on values, etc. Funny how google will retrieve a lot of information one time - then almost nothing the next.... I never got much information before when on a "Bone" search - just a lot of pix of bone-handled knives!

xtm

·
Registered
90 Posts
xtm,
Before GS...it was word of mouth... Men's mags...Field & Stream...
Men's Action Mags...& stores!At one time I think you could buy Loveless knives at Abercom.& Finch(sp?)You have to understand...there weren't THAT many custom makers around.Randall's ,Ek.Scagal Ruana.They also were NOT costing todays prices.As a teen I saw a RANDALL MODEL 2 in a store for $80 NEW!
Jim

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found another fragment of information on the "L630" stamp. A fellow emailed me that "L" is the model designation and 630 is the Bone serial number. I'm guessing that it was not the 630th model "L", but was Bone's 630th knife - if this information is reliable

xtm

·
Registered
4 Posts
The mentioned Ralph Bone knife, s/n L630 is Ralph Bone's own knife design, the Model L "Hunter's Bowie" with a leather handle. The serial number "630" reveals that the knife was the 30th Model L made in 1966 (most likely, during the last few months that Bone was associated with G. W. Stone in Richardson, TX. Bone stopped producing leather handle knives in late '65 or early '66. Bone operated a sole proprietorship in Lubbock, Texas, before founding of the Ralph Bone Knife Company, a corporation, in 1967. Please see my forthcoming book about Ralph Bone and Enedino De Leon, the latter who Ralph taught to make knives. The book covers Bone's knife making, gun making and Master Engraver careers, until his death. The book is entitled: The Artistry of Ralph Bone". Thanks!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Please see my forthcoming book about Ralph Bone and Enedino De Leon, the latter who Ralph taught to make knives. The book covers Bone's knife making, gun making and Master Engraver careers, until his death. The book is entitled: The Artistry of Ralph Bone". Thanks!
I would love to see a book covering his work . It truly was a time that knife makers were not getting rich following their passion.
Appreciate any info you could share on this one. It has a different style of "bone " and a different serial number style.
Plus the gut hook does not seem to be a normal Bone style from the little I have seen.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Looks like a very good built knife.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The subject is a COPY of the original Ralph Bone Knife Company standard production / non-cataloged Model T "Guthook Skinner", originally designed by Ralph Bone in the mid-60s. Approximately 250 Model's T and GT were made by Bone and Enedino De Leon at the Ralph Bone Knife Company. The subject knife, however, was made by Charles Hipp, successor owner of the Ralph Bone Knife Company in 1979.

My book "The Artistry of Ralph P Bone" will be available as soon as I can have it printed. The book is presented in two sections. Section 1 presents the knives and careers of Bone and De Leon, before and at the Ralph Bone Knife Company. Section 11 presents Bone's gun making and engraving career as a Master Engraver, along with examples thereof. Included are examples of Bone's scroll and central figure engravings and an introduction to Celtic art and examples of Bone's Celtic engravings. Section 11 is prefaced with instructions by Master Engraver Ron Smith on evaluating quality engraving. Hopefully, custom knife, firearm and engraving enthusiasts will find it interesting and informative. The book will be available in a high quality print format and by Ebook through my website, Artistryatarms.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RALPH BONE KNIFE COMPANY - GUT-HOOK SKINNER, Made by Charles Hipp

My posting of today was directed to the Model GT "Gut-Hook Skinner" Knife made at the Ralph Bone Knife Company by Charles Hipp, not to the two photos of the Ralph Bone Knife Company Model U "All Purpose Skinner", posted by Sig-230 on 03-19-19, the latter which posting my posting of today appears to have been associated inadvertently. I'm new at this forum posting! guns-wine-porches!

·
Registered
4 Posts
"The Artistry Of Ralph P Bone", a coffee-table quality book about Ralph Bone and Enedino De Leon will be available for shipment by mid-August, 2020, from our website "ArtistryAtArms.com". Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts