Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, it is easily removed by drilling out the two rivets holding it to the frame.

I've had my gunsmith take three off for me. Next to the internal locks I despise those idiotic rails the most.

S&W use to have black plastic plugs you could put in the holes. I simply left mine open with no problems.

The finish under two of the three pistols was fine. On the third, the rail had been poorly installed and subsequently moved a bit. It left some wear marks on the frame. Check Gunbroker periodically. Some agencies ordered TSW pistols without the rails, and subsequently there are no holes in the dust cover.

With S&W giving away free M&P pistols to different law enforcement agencies to increase their market share, many of these rail free TSW's are coming on the market. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question I have is --- If I take the rail off, does it mess up the balance of the gun? Will taking off the rail void the warranty of the gun?

·
Registered
215 Posts
No, in my experience it made no difference in the pistols balance.

As to the warranty, if that is a concern, you could send it to S&W and have them remove it.

I don't support the current company calling itself S&W, so I had my very talented gunsmith do mine. Regards 18DAI.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
As far as the warranty goes, in theory, it should be no different than you changing out the stock grips. IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight guys, I will call Smith and see what they say. If turns into a hassle, I will just leave it alone and hope the CPD approves the use of a weapon light for regular patrolman ( police officer for all those pc people ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts