Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Quiz time, can you identify this rifle? Do you have one that might puzzle us?

6K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  E6Sarge 
#1 ·
Can anybody identify this one. Let's have a little fun with guns for a while.
I know what it is, let's see if somebody here can identify it from what few photos I have of it. I even know the complete history on it.
Do you have one to share that might puzzle us as well? Let's see what's out there.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You guys are right for the most part. It's a low wall.
The cool part is it's chambered in 22 short. Pretty unique. I asked my gunsmith once if he could re-chamber it for 22LR, and he told me not to, because it'll destroy the value if it just the way it is.

#10 ·
I'll play. Here is one that falls into the category of "looks can be deceiving"! This one dates to just after the great war of secession (1861-1865). And, it's NOT a Remington! Good luck
Hmmm... that's a poser. Not a Whitney. I'd guess one of the Scandinavian rolling blocks made under the Remington patent.
Nice rifle, whatever it is!

John

#15 ·
Right on! It is a Springfield Model 1871 Army rifle.
That I should have known! :rolleyes:

I have a New York State Militia Model roller. It has the same safety feature but has three barrel bands.
Remington made tons of military rifles on their #1 action and licensed out tons more to foreign manufacturers. I guess in my mind they are all Remington rolling blocks.:)

John

#19 ·

Ruger 10/22 was the original rifle. The trigger group is the give-a-way.

#21 ·
You got it! Unfortunately the company making these conversions has gone out of business. The company name was Scottwerx and they made this military style model and one with the vertical fore grip. The magazine is a 10 rd Ruger rotary mag with an extension glued on. I will also take the 25 rd Ruger mags and the 110 rd GSG mag on the table just above the rifle. Great fun to shoot.

#25 ·
Good job John - a Providence Tool Co rifle, using the Peabody & Martini patents , made in Rhode Island ..

first receiver is a US commercial offered 45-70 from the 1880's - little hard to find theses days but they are out there.. also a rare carbine/sporter version

second receiver is a Providence Tool Co turkish contract - from large military contract for the Turkish Government for 600,000 rifles (1873-1882) in Caliber 450 Turkish.
Turkish contract defaults and money games and patent problems eventually led to demise of the firm..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.