Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an opportunity to purchase a Model 66-3, 2 1/2 inch barrel, original stocks, no box or papers. 96% plus condition. A couple of minor scuffs on the cylinder. Appears to have been shot very little if at all. Joker wants $500. I've until tomorrow to decide.

So, what's the verdict? Buy or decline?

Remember, around here and anywhere near here, S&W revolvers are scarce. That should be a factor in the decision.

Thanks in advance.

QC

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
QC,

-3's are still "Good" 66's in my view, but -2's are at the top of the heap for the breed as far as I'm concerned.

If you've got the $500 and no place to throw it, then I guess it's a pretty good deal. But i bet that if you toss in another C-note plus or minus, I know where you could get a real, honest to goodness 3" 66-3. :cool:

Oh Cush! Paging Cush! We got us an Injun off the Res with some money burning a hole in his breechclout! :lol:

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
As just a gun to have, and use, it's in the ballpark. I am not looking at it as a collecter......but as a guy who likes Smiths'. It's a nice gun to have. Since it is scuffed up, and not in mint condition, I think that you could knock $50 off, and get it at the lower end of the spectrum. It probably did a little holster duty, but wasn't shot much.

If you want a collectable M-66, listen to Drew. (I always thought of my 66-1 2.5" as being the best production model of the M-66.)
nvonjvila kfjdrfirii Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Drew & Bob. I don't know, I'm still undecided. It's something I'd like to have, but it's not an itch I wanna scratch with five Franklins. I need to be convinced that I just gotta have it.

How 'bout it guys, anyone think it's a great deal and I'd be a damned fool for passing on it?

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
QC, around these parts as you described it, I would pass.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
I just got a 66-3 and $450 is just about right up here too. Cash in hand usually is a swaying factor of course.
If you do get it, you know the required repayment for our excellent advice is a couple of really good pictures.
Make sure you get extra earplugs with it too. Lots of 158 or 180 Gr. bullets - you know the story

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats about the going rate these days on a 66 snubby. I vote buy it. In another year, I predict pre lock 66 snubbies will routinely bring $600 or more. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it. Paid $450. He was willing to drop the price. So, tell me, before I pry the side plate off, what the Hell is a floating hand? Am I gonna have to re-learn the guts of this thing?

Thanks to all. I appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
QC, It is the same on all modern Smith's,. since pre WWII. All are the basically same, except for the cartridge that it uses. I think that all the innards are common for J-N frames, except for size....no matter which revolver you have. (Except for the MIM equiped models after '98, that is. ;) ) Please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.........Drew. :lol: Bob

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Bob K said:
QC, It is the same on all modern Smith's,. since pre WWII. All are the basically same, except for the cartridge that it uses. I think that all the innards are common for J-N frames, except for size....no matter which revolver you have. (Except for the MIM equiped models after '98, that is. ;) ) Please feel free to correct me, if I am wrong.........Drew. :lol: Bob
You are.

J's and Improved I's are similar. I's have a leaf, not a coil main spring. K's and L's are similar. N's are by themselves. Some springs are similar, but not exactly the same. K,L,N triggers are the same post war, K,L hammers are the same from the same era.

The "Floating hand" is simply a Wobble Joint where the hand meets the trigger and not really much of a concern unless you remove the hand from the trigger during disassembly / detail cleaning. Usually I don't. Previous to this, the hand only rotated in a plane parallel to the trigger.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wobble Joint? I got one of those. An' it shore wobbles a lot; the older I get, the more it wobbles. How'd they git one o' them stuck inside a gun?

Ha! :lol: Thanks, Drew. Tomorrow after work, I'll take a peek inside and get it all cleaned up for some shootin' on Veteran's Day. We have the day off and I'm also taking off Thursday & Friday. That's five days out at El Rancho Peacho. Should be a good time to get in some revolver shooting and an early start on quail season - opens Saturday.

Thanks again, all y'all.

·
Registered
19,781 Posts
Well Drew....I guess I should never had said THAT!!! Though some parts are changed, and are different..... the main parts are basically the same, and work using the same principals. You know.....a barrel, a frame, a trigger, a hammer, a sear....... I'm not saying that they are all designed the same. :roll: Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts