Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off the tractor this afternoon with 1/2 hour before I had to go back to work. Using the 50th Anniv 357, I got an average of 1285 fps with the Leadhead 168 Keith over 14.0 of 2400, and 1250 with the same load under a Dardas 158 swc. I'd thought the lighter bullet would be faster. You never know.

Using my Lipsey's 44 Spec (4 5/8ths inch), I got an average of 1046 fps with Skeeter's load under a Lasercast 240 swc, and 7.68 SD. Wow!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.5 of "old" Unique. I still have about a pound left in an old 4# keg. I'm anxious to test the new Unique to see if it's the same like it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Parson, could be the Leadhead is harder. I recently had to download the practice round I use in my 66 snub due to the Vance 158s being harder than the Speer 158 LSWCHPS in my defense-load. I was getting almost 100fps more with the harder Vances. I see 950 with the Speers and 1045 with the Vance.

7.5grains of old Unique? I load 7grains in my defense load. I've still got about 6 lbs. of the old stuff in an 8 lb. Cannister I bought a couple years ago from another reloader. Somebody told me that the new stuff doesn't give the same velocities as the older 'Dirty' Unique. Have you heard anything about that?
Dave

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
parson45 said:
Using the 50th Anniv 357, I got an average of 1285 fps with the Leadhead 168 Keith over 14.0 of 2400
:shock: That ain't bad! ;)

This sounds like a "Ruger Only" load. Would you shoot it out of a 586?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LeMat said:
parson45 said:
Using the 50th Anniv 357, I got an average of 1285 fps with the Leadhead 168 Keith over 14.0 of 2400
:shock: That ain't bad! ;)

This sounds like a "Ruger Only" load. Would you shoot it out of a 586?
Not without working up to it, no.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaveWW said:
Parson, could be the Leadhead is harder.

Somebody told me that the new stuff doesn't give the same velocities as the older 'Dirty' Unique. Have you heard anything about that?
Dave
Could be. I don't know. It certainly does not lead in my gun. I've heard about the possible differences in new Unique, but I truly have my doubts. Once I get a chance to test it, I'll post my results.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good info Parson...

I REALLY like Leadhead bullets, though I don't have a lot of them... their "real Keith" style flat base bullet is a tack driver in my .357s, and particularly in my fav Pre 27 6.5". A plus is it also functions flawlessly in our Winchester 1892 .357 Mag (I say "we" because Mrs CXM has adopted it has her own.)

Leadhead bullets are particularly impressive quality... well formed, not wrinkled or frosted, and very uniform in weight... not at all like some of the commercially cast bullets I have seen around with wrinkles, improperly formed driving bands, rounded edges etc. The makers claim they shoot fine, and may well be right particularly for pistol/revolver bulleets used at short ranges, but they are still not correctly made... Leadhead are not the cheapest around, but top quality... The other plus is they also make original Keith type bullets with the flat base.

Hunters Supply also makes some nice bullets... at reasonable prices... No doubt there are other makers around as well who make top quality bullets... we used to get some out of
Abilene TX, but have not seen them in some years.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.