Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in the shop range a couple of days ago trying to sight in the red dot on my Ruger 22/45 and having a devil of a time holding it still. I tried a block of wood to rest the barrel on and that helped, but still I wiggled. Looking around the shop, I saw a spring clamp. Since my 22/45 is slab sided, it worked perfectly. Barrel was rock solid for sighting in.

Then I wondered how it would work on a round barrel. This particular clamp didn't work well on round. They tended to fall down.

I thought about it awhile and came up with this (works very well on all barrels, slab, round or fluted).

The strap is a dog leash my dog (Coco) chewed through, cut to length, fastened with screws and nuts. The turkey bands hold the straps in place. This one goes in my shooting bag for those steady shots.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Careful..... As BS as it sounds, the ATF has funny ideas about removable forends on handguns.... I'm not joking.... A vertical grip on a Glock puts you in violation....

Still, I like you idea... great field expedient.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Thats a hell of a good Idea. I have a couple clamps like that I use to use for clamping lath hiking up grade stakes.I think I will make me one like you did there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sebago Son said:
Careful..... As BS as it sounds, the ATF has funny ideas about removable forends on handguns.... I'm not joking.... A vertical grip on a Glock puts you in violation....

Still, I like you idea... great field expedient.
It's a sad commentary on our government that we should fear it for putting a spring clamp on a gun barrel.
:(

Apparently bipods are not illegal on handguns. Rugers Charger comes with a detachable bipod. http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=4904&return=Y

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Excellent!

One thought: Ceracote to make tacticool!

(operatingoperatordoingoperations)Sargent Fury

1 - 10 of 10 Posts