Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you fellows collect the older Buck Knives? I believe that I have a couple of the earliest Buck folding Hunter models and need some info. - a NIB 112 Ranger with micarta scales instead of wood, and a LNIB 110 that I believe to be the earliest version from 1963.

The 110 looks like the photo of the old one in this article:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... tml?page=2

I was following Leighton's advice about looking at some reference books to get information on another knife and checked out Levine's Guide to Knives from the local library. A couple of articles in that reference on Bucks by Vern Taylor leads me to believe that this is the earliest model with ~700 being made:

It has the old soft pouch, "Buck" stamped parallel to the blade edge, narrow nail mark, and the steel spacer between cap and bolsters. I have the original box and literature which has the early San Diego address.

The 112 folding Ranger is a few years later, but has the dark micarta scales of the earliest version:

I also have several of the early fixed-blade Bucks with the round tang and the screw-on barrel nut - and the old-style sheath. The later models had flat tangs and the pinned butts with the pouch-type sheath.

Any information is appreciated! :?

xtm

·
Registered
600 Posts
Xtm, try Buck's website. I know when I was collecting 120's, 119's, 112's and 110's they had year marks on the blades that were coded. Yours appear to be older than that and maybe they can tell the age by the marks that are there. I know there were certain stamps for different years. Like how 'Buck' is stamped, sideways, upside down or big letters or small letters. Hope this helps. James

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jamn,

I've been prowling around the Buck 'site and some of the other associated ones already. That plus the one reference book already mentioned has led me to my conclusions.

I've mentioned this before - and have been warned by Giz and Leighton that knife collector/dealers can be a devious and squirrely lot when it comes to giving out information on your knife. I've shown the 110 to several Buck collectors at gun shows. They always act funny, clam up, and immediately try to trade me out of it - a surefire clue, IMO, that I have something they want. Anytime I ask one of 'em what they think it's worth, I inevitably get that obnoxious non-answer, "Whadaya want for it?" The Vern Taylor article in the Levine reference is decades old, and he stated $600! Buck knives were hardly even collected then. That's why I'm interested in finding this out.

xtm

·
Registered
600 Posts
Xtm, hold on to them. I heard there is a Buck Collectors Assn. Those people would be the ones to ask. I have ran into the same type of dealers you speak of, I do not even acknowledge them. Good luck on your search, James.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also a 250px-buck knife just want to show you it. what do you think of this?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
xtimberman said:
Thanks Jamn,

I've been prowling around the Buck 'site and some of the other associated ones already. That plus the one reference book already mentioned has led me to my conclusions.

I've mentioned this before - and have been warned by Giz and Leighton that knife collector/dealers can be a devious and squirrely lot when it comes to giving out information on your knife. I've shown the 110 to several Buck collectors at gun shows. They always act funny, clam up, and immediately try to trade me out of it - a surefire clue, IMO, that I have something they want. Anytime I ask one of 'em what they think it's worth, I inevitably get that obnoxious non-answer, "Whadaya want for it?" The Vern Taylor article in the Levine reference is decades old, and he stated $600! Buck knives were hardly even collected then. That's why I'm interested in finding this out.

xtm
Those you have are old, and I can't find any info on those, then again I was never into the differing Buck Knives, to my ignorance. I would suggest going to www.bladeforums.com and here
http://www.knifecollector.net/BuckKnifeDates.html seems anything prior to 1986 had no date codes, or model numbers an since none of the ones you've shown don't seem to have been sharpened their value will be higher. Do not try and polish the brass bolsters as it will detract from the value. You can use denatured alcohol to wipe some of the verdigrise off the bolsters.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Leighton!

This ancient thread somehow got dredged up from nearly two years ago.... :?

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
xtimberman said:
Thanks for the info Leighton!

This ancient thread somehow got dredged up from nearly two years ago.... :?

xtm
I never saw it originally, still hope the info helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those knives are some really old BUCK knives. The 110 looks to be a 1st Version as does the 112. Now the fixed blade is from no later than 1962 as the barrel nut was not used after this time. The dealers that you mentioned KNEW they were old and would have tried to rip you off buying them. To get a good idea about them, contact Leroy Remer at Triple R Knives (Triple-R-Knives). He used to work in BUCK's old custom shop and will give you the skinny on them. DO NOT SELL THEM UNTIL YOU TALK TO HIM. I have seen the 110 go for in excess of $500.00 new in the box, the 112 between 100.00-200.00, the fixed blade looks to be an early 105. The barrel nut knives are hard to find. I've not seen one of them sold recently. You have some good ones!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buckknifefan, thanks for the prompt reply!

This is a fun thread.....it gets two posts a year, then dies - only to be resurrected a year later!!! :D

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....Do you happen to still have the knives?
Please excuse my rude reply.....this old thread just won't die and I found that amusing!

Welcome to the S&W Forum!! :)

Yes, I still have those and some others. I haven't looked at them since that original post in 2009, but I believe that I have the whole set (attached with the nut) from the early 1960s - minus the skinner. Most are unused.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
My old "Buck Classic". I don't even know if they still make them, but they're great knives. This one still goes hunting with me every year, and sure has skinned a lot of deer. I won't part with it.
Buck Classic 001.jpg Buck Classic 002.jpg Buck Classic 003.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Well, as long as the thread has been recently resurrected, I might as well add my two cents worth.........or in this case, my two Bucks worth (chuckle).

I've had the 110 for so long, I can't even remember when I got it and I only "think" I got the 112 sometime in the early 1990's and it was used. I have no expertise with Buck knives, so I can't spot an old one from a new one. Are these collectors?

IM005438Buck110_112.jpg

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm glad this thread has surfaced again. I thought I would post my everyday carry knives. The one photo is with my new small forest axe.

xtimberman, you have some very desirable Bucks. I'd love to see photographs of all of them if you ever have a chance.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone help me to identify this Buck Knive

Hi, found this knife in an old camper I bought. It doesn't have any markings at all. It looks and feels like a buck but without any markings at all. Very strange. Any ideas? It also has a hole for a strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not a Buck knife - one of millions of cheaply-made #110 copies from some Asian sweatshop.

The cavalier fit and finish is the first giveaway...and besides, Buck is always proud enough of their products to stamp "Buck" on each of them. Maybe the lanyard hole was a way to avoid design/patent infringement...?

·
Registered
297 Posts
while i know its not a 110 this is the only " 0409130739a.jpg 0409130738.jpg collectable" buck i own any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts