Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about these. My interests lie more along the revolver side of the house.

I saw a 422 at the gunshop this morning, thought it looked a little like the 41 (mind you I said "a little"). My SCSW III has no reference to the 422 so no help there. A GB search brings up two examples but no real info, although it did appear that both examples had fixed sights. The one at the gunshop sports adjustable sights and wood grip panels rather than the plastic ones. This looked like a nice little plinker and it was pretty darn inexpensive.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi MKT,
The 422 is one of my favorite guns. I have hade this one since the 1980s and it is one that I really enjoy shooting. It is the only model that my wife feels comfortable with. There are those that think that is too light but the wife says all the others are too heavy. I do have a model 41, pre 17 and pre 34 so it is not that I do not have others to shoot. For some reason the 422 gets more use every year than the others. If you can buy it right it is a really neat gun.

PS look page 282 in SCS&W 3

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote: PS look page 282 in SCS&W 3

D'OH!

I looked straight down the model numbers, didn't see it. Didn't even think to look for the .22 semi-auto section. I should look longer before asking.

They've got it priced pretty fair for California. It is less than original retail, appears to be nearly unfired, so much so I thought it was a new gun. Now I'll have to see if it has the box with it. As I stated above, this one is fitted with adjustable sights, which the good book now tells me is good for a $25 premium.

Tough choices. They also have a nice late 40's High Standard for about the same price. If I jump, my decision will be based on whether I want to wait 10 days or brig it home upon purchase. The Smith isn't C&R so I'd have to wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,

After seeing how well Jim's 422 appears to have held up over the past 20 or so years I ran right back to that shop and bought the 422 (and an old High Standard too boot).

No pictures of the 422 yet, but it too is an early one, probably second year according to the SCSW III. Early gun and it appears to be basically only lightly used, if fired at all.

While doing the paperwork on the 422 I learned that it had just come in about 3 days ago and that yesterday was the first day on the shelf. I don't think this one would have hung around the shop much longer, especially with the smoking price it was tagged with ($275). No box, dox or tools, just a clean gun in near new condition.

Pictures in the near future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts