Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys;
I have an SW 22 revolver and was looking for some information, anything you can tell me about it. It belonged to my dad, is not in good condition he told me he bought it a long time ago and kept it in the closet for more than 60 years, some of the letters are hard to read, its a 22 cal Long Rifle CTG, I guess is a K model as the frame has a "K 161350" sn but I'm not sure about it. I'm attaching some pictures, any comment will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Hi Luis and welcome to the "Friendly Forum". Your K-22 Target Masterpiece was shipped from the factory in 1947. That model evolved into thew Model 17.

I hope that info helps,

Geezer

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I don’t think that’s a 1947 date. That looks like a 6 digit serial number, cyl and butt match, 161350. My 1947 Masterpiece has a 5 digit number. Luis, IMHO you have one of the finest target revolvers ever built! It may appear rough on the outside ( some of that will clean up), but the internals are probably OK. A gunsmith can clean the old ,hardened oil from inside and relubricate it for you. With standard velocity CCI 22 long rifle cartridges, she is probably a tack driver. In the gunsmithing section on this forum are some hints about the best ways to tackle your problem, if you want to DIY. Proceed with care, read the suggestions from the pros. YouTube can be useful, too. Same cautions. You have a fine, top quality piece with some surface problems that are manageable. An heirloom worth some TLC. Hank PS-Don’t “dry fire” your revolver without some snap caps or expended brass in the chambers. You can see where that has been done a couple of times.

7BA847BF-39E4-4DA2-B566-E55A4D1D1320.jpeg

·
Registered
27,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hope you get that beauty cleaned up and functioning again. Keep us up to date.:)

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
A gunsmith can clean the old ,hardened oil from inside and relubricate it for you.
A $50+ job. I've observed that anyone new to this forum is often assumed to be incompetent, at least until proven otherwise. Anybody who needs to have a gunsmith carry out such a simple job as this has NO business messing with firearms.

The rust I see on the rib is going to leave slight pitting, though of course the metal will look much better when the "crust" is removed; 0000 steel wool & oil will do the job if used carefully.

·
Premium Member
11,938 Posts
You've got a good shooter there.

s/n K1605xx shipped 11/52
s/n K1619xx shipped 12/52

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very nice K-22, Luis. Clean her up and shoot her with pride. Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson concurs with K22, produced in 1952. Oh, and welcome to the forum from So. Colorado!!!!

Gary

·
Registered
19,703 Posts
A $50+ job. I've observed that anyone new to this forum is often assumed to be incompetent, at least until proven otherwise. Anybody who needs to have a gunsmith carry out such a simple job as this has NO business messing with firearms.

The rust I see on the rib is going to leave slight pitting, though of course the metal will look much better when the "crust" is removed; 0000 steel wool & oil will do the job if used carefully.
Yet how many newbies do not know how to remove the sideplate and use a screwdriver?

·
Premium Member
11,938 Posts
Yet how many newbies do not know how to remove the sideplate and use a screwdriver?
One of the things I really appreciated about the folks on this site was the help I got to 1) get the right tools, 2) find the correct video and 3) provide support for my taking off the sideplate of my K-38. Which, by the way, I bought from a member of this site.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
If they've reached manhood without learning how to use a screwdriver, they should take up golf, or internet gambling. As for the sideplate, if they've got as far as this website, I suspect they've got the brains to make it to You Tube.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
One of the things I really appreciated about the folks on this site was the help I got to 1) get the right tools, 2) find the correct video and 3) provide support for my taking off the sideplate of my K-38.
Believe it or not, there actually are such things as written & illustrated disassembly manuals--been around long before anybody dreamed up the internet, & they are always my first "go to." I've got to be pretty desperate before I resort to "You Tubing," but I admit I did so when trying to work on my SKS, so I don't deny the usefulness of (some) videos in explicating complex procedures.

·
Premium Member
11,938 Posts
Believe it or not, there actually are such things as written & illustrated disassembly manuals--been around long before anybody dreamed up the internet, & they are always my first "go to." I've got to be pretty desperate before I resort to "You Tubing," but I admit I did so when trying to work on my SKS, so I don't deny the usefulness of (some) videos in explicating complex procedures.
The video I was directed to was put out by the Smith & Wesson folks themselves. It was excellent. I had the manuals to tell me what to do but being left handed (I think and remember in images) it was great to "see" the sideplate being removed.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
19,703 Posts
If they've reached manhood without learning how to use a screwdriver, they should take up golf, or internet gambling. As for the sideplate, if they've got as far as this website, I suspect they've got the brains to make it to You Tube.
I meant where they use the screwdriver to pry the plate off; not knowing to rap it with something like a wooden hammer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts