Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two S&W 9mm Shields.. My Question is this Can I replace the 9mm Shield recoil guide and spring with a 9mm Shield EZ Recoil guide and spring and have the pistol function properly..???

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
I seriously doubt it. Check the part numbers. I'll bet they are different, and the specifications are probably different too.

If you're having problem racking the guns, try the alternate technique of pushing the frame under the slide while holding the slide stationary with your non-dominant hand. Those muscles are stronger.

These very small guns need stronger recoil springs to operate with powerful 9mm cartridges.

The EZ mechanism is, in my opinion, not reliable or desirable in a self defense handgun. That's based on observations of student problems using them in class.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are not interchangeable. They are totally different guns. The EZ is hammer fired so it can use the softer recoil spring. The regular Shield is striker fired. Barrels are different. Really nothing is interchangeable between them. I really think S&W made a mistake labeling the EZs as Shields as they are nothing like each other. I have both and they are both nice pistols. I agree that I am not sure the EZ is as reliable as the regular Shield. My wife shoots the EZ and we have had a couple of feeding issues with it. My daughter also has one and it has been back to S&W twice for repairs. It runs fine now but I am not sure I would bet my life on it. She carries a regular Shield.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts