Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 629-6 and a buddy of mine has a unfluted cylinder for a 629-2 that he got in a “parts box”. Would that cylinder work in my 629-6?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Nope it won't Cylinders have to be hand fitted to the particular gun and the hand that turns the cylinder. Its a job of a qualified Gun Smith who specializes in Smith Wesson Revolvers. They are not drop in parts.

Hope this answer's you question

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Layne, can it be made to work? He didn't ask if it would just drop in, though you do sort of get that impression, but you're saying a gunsmith could possibly do it?

·
Registered
669 Posts
rdenisj523,

Welcome o the forum.

Let's not make a mtn out of a molehill. When you've tried a few you learn the main rule is there are no rules.

They can vary from a drop-in to needing timing and length adjustment.

The closer the two cyls are to the same vintage, the better the chance for a drop-in. A -2 to -6 is highly likely.

The overall cyl length is much more often what may need fitting; gas ring to frame and/or barrel/cyl gap.

Timing not so much especially when both cyls have the same # of chambers or only one chamber difference. And of course it's a simpler process if the replacement cyl has its original extractor star.

But it's not rocket science. Proper guidance from here on the forum or a book, some mechanical aptitude, a little dexterity, and the will to learn a little is all you need.

I suggest you borrow the cyl to try, then we'll know where you stand. The extractor rod in your -6 has a left handed thread, therefore unscrews by turning it clockwise when looking at the front of the cyl.

Here's an L frame 586 .357 with a 696 44 Spl 5 shot cyl that dropped in (timing and length):

The same cyl dropped into this 296 5 shot 44 spl to replace the Ti cyl:

Let us know how it goes if you try it and most of all remember it can be fun to personalize your gun,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts