Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new M&P 15-22 Pistol yesterday and when cleaning the gun last night discovered white stuff - like dried Liquid Paper - coating the bolt assembly spring. Anyone know what this stuff is? I got most of it off with a soft brass brush. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just picked up a new M&P 15-22 Pistol yesterday and when cleaning the gun last night discovered white stuff - like dried Liquid Paper - coating the bolt assembly spring. Anyone know what this stuff is? I got most of it off with a soft brass brush. Thanks for your help! Here is the pic

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sent an email to S&W customer service and they say "This is just paint on the spring that is coming off. We would suggest cleaning it and you will be all set!" Not sure I buy that response - I don't know of any reason there would be paint on the spring. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's just spring weight ID paint. The rifles springs have a blue color to them. Very common in large manufacturing to color springs that are similar but have different weights for quick identification. Standard AR15 hammar springs are colored in the same way for different weights.

I cleaned mine up and after couple thousand rounds the paint is almost gone.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just spring weight ID paint. The rifles springs have a blue color to them. Very common in large manufacturing to color springs that are similar but have different weights for quick identification. Standard AR15 hammar springs are colored in the same way for different weights.

I cleaned mine up and after couple thousand rounds the paint is almost gone.
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.