Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 40 out for the first time last night. Functionally, it was flawless, no FTF's or FTE's and it ate the ammo like candy. I was shooting Federal 180 gr. FN and Winchester 180 gr. FN. I also had worked up some Hornady 180 gr. XTP's going from a lighter load to a heavier load, to see which I liked best for self defense. In all cases, no matter what ammo I was firing, my shots were all low. And I don't mean a little low - I'm saying, aiming at the bullseye, the rounds were hitting at the bottom of the circle at 8 yards. To compensate, I had to raise the barrel above the circle to get them closer to the bullseye. And, when my buddy shot it, before I could even ask him how it did for him, he said it was shooting way low for him.

I was just curious if anybody here had seen this before. I'm even wondering if the sights that are on the gun are too tall and may need to be replaced. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
My M&P's (three calibers) seem to shoot okay at 25 yds. center hold. A 6 o'clock hold at 7 yds. produces that same result. I want to get a bit more bench time before I consider shaving the front sights. The ex-LE guns are hitting the market for prices I had to try them. I like the ergonomics and they all run well. I do appreciate your comment (feel your pain).

·
Premium Member
11,620 Posts
How was it sighted? Does it have it's original factory sights? Was it setup for six o'clock hold or center hold?

What sight picture are you using? For example, if it's setup for center hold and you use six o'clock hold, it will shoot low.

Does it have an adjustable or fixed sight?

If adjustable, you move the rear sight in the direction you want the hits to move, in this case UP.

If not adjustable, you replace the front sight with a shorter one, or the rear sight with a taller one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My M&P's (three calibers) seem to shoot okay at 25 yds. center hold. A 6 o'clock hold at 7 yds. produces that same result. I want to get a bit more bench time before I consider shaving the front sights. The ex-LE guns are hitting the market for prices I had to try them. I like the ergonomics and they all run well. I do appreciate your comment (feel your pain).
This is, from what I can tell, an LEO trade-in. It looked brand spankin' new, but was a used gun, probably carried a lot in a Kydex holster (no holster wear) and shot very little. I got it for $325, so I know what you mean by the price being so good you had to try it. I'm not going to get frustrated with this gun, not even close, it's a sweet shooter and I just want to rectify any issue there might be so that me and the girl get along better. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How was it sighted? Does it have it's original factory sights? Was it setup for six o'clock hold or center hold?

What sight picture are you using? For example, if it's setup for center hold and you use six o'clock hold, it will shoot low.

Does it have an adjustable or fixed sight?

If adjustable, you move the rear sight in the direction you want the hits to move, in this case UP.

If not adjustable, you replace the front sight with a shorter one, or the rear sight with a taller one.
It has fixed sights, and from what I can tell, they are the factory sights. They're too plain to be something that somebody decided to put on them aftermarket.

I've considered a shorter front sight, in fact that might fix the problem right there, even without messing with the rear sights.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I have read several post about M&P's shooting low , my M&P 9 and 5906 shoot low . Lines at the range is 3, 5 and 7 yards is far as I go and aim a little high

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Before i started swapping parts i would try two things.... One .. bench it and two have someone else shoot it.

Then I would probably look real close at the sights and see if they have been modified. I know that glock and others offer different height sights so just because they look plain jane doesn't mean someone didnt "sight" it for them using factory gear.

How many inches were you off at 8 yds?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Bench it first shoot it . 10 yards , print target and measure how far off " Low" ise several different loads some will shot lower thatn others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts