Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, occasionally when traveling to another person's house overnight, in the future I may have one of my 9 mm pistols in my car for concealed carry. Just got my license. But, I may not be able to bring it in the house nor want to ask permission to do so.

In the winter, like now, where the temperatures are just above and below freezing most nights, is it safe to leave my guns in the car? I know people say it's probably fine, but I also want to take care of them. Also, it would probably be occasional.Does this produce wear and tear on them? We are talking 20 degrees at the lowest, but usually more like 30 degrees to 40 degrees. Tonight it is maybe 35.

Edit: If I were to do so I would bring my steel pistol lockbox with cable to attach to car inside, hidden.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
They should be just fine.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, one thing to add, I have a small pistol sized steel lockbox which I plan to bring in the future for such situations. It has a steel cable I think that I can secure it to part of the car or trunk internally.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some gas piston autos operate slow or not @ all under extreme cold, however more like -30. I wouldn't worry about it @ the temps you mentioned.
Okay, so at let's say 32 odd degrees there is no bad effect on gun durability long term? As in , can I do it without any worry as often as I like, or only do it if necessary?

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the gun being exposed to the cold.
Now the gun being stolen out of the vehicle, THAT is what I would be worried about.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Suggestion,

Take it inside, in a small lock box like you would use to take it on a plane. Unless you are prohibited from doing so. If kids are the issue, it is imperative to ensure it is safely stored, inside or out.

if it has to be in the vehicle install a modest locked car safe under the seat. Bolted down with red loctite applied to bolts. And not stored in a flimsy glove compartment.

Keep it well lubed. Suggest Ballistol, Rem oil or other light lubricant.

If it were me, I would either take it inside; leave it home or stay in a motel.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
On the technical side, lubricants will get thick and gum up when cold. Will that impact operation? Depends on the lubricant, where it is, how much and the closeness of fit. A M&P full size is a looser fit gun. A Dan Wesson M1911a1 is a tighter fit gun. So... "It depends".

It's likely that chamber pressure would be higher during cartridge ignition than if the gun and ammunition were at room temperature. So, over pressure ammunition may be at more risk for issues. +P would likely make it. +P+ I wouldn't play with in that cold a gun.

Will a gun left in a car be stolen. Quite a few guns are stolen from guns. You're at considerable risk, lock box and cable or not. Thieves carry bolt cutters. Anything visible (including stickers, signs, firearm oriented license plates) says "steal me first".

If an attack occurs while you're away from your gun, what use is it? This is why you carry concealed, and keep it concealed. It's just nobody else's business that you protect yourself effectively, especially hoplophobes. They make their irrational decisions... I make my rational decisions...

Carry a gun where you're not welcome? Time for a conversation, and some real decision making. Why are you there where someone would not trust you? If someone wants me disarmed, they generally don't get visits.

If you're concerned about child access, get a lock box and keep it in your luggage or brief case. Even a cable lock when you're not carrying it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey there mad viking.

I live in a climate where temps bounce around freezing and while your firearms will be fine for the short term, there are some issues that you need to be aware of and they can be easily addressed.

First off, and not so much with your glock (I own a glock, not to familiar with the M&P Sheild), when steel goes through temperature changes in humid climates it will collect moisture. This happens to firearms made from steel and they will rust if they are not protected.

Personally, I make sure that I clean my firearms and store them in a climate controlled storage area but frequently find that I am taking them in and out of vehicles, leaving them in the vehicle for extended periods, and then hauling them inside for a indoor competition, back out to freezing temperatures, then into the storage safe when I get home. For firearms that I frequently use, IE every couple of months or a couple times a year, I clean them as I normally would and use Ezzox, Gunzilla, Anchutz Ceramic, or Iosso as a cleaner, lubricant, protectant and have not had a issue. Frankly, I have used quite a lot of the new wonder firearm CLP products and they all work pretty damn good. I just have a lot of experience with these four products and I am pleased with the results.

If I am storing the gun for any length of time, go to the hardware store and in the automotive aisle, they will have a aerosol rust preventative spray grease/oil product. I lay my firearm on a sheet of saran wrap (or alum foil) to catch the overspray and apply a good coat of this stuff. You can use the RIG product (that stands for rust inhibiting grease) but I like the aerosol application of the hardware store product. If you have scopes, cover the objective and eyepiece with frog tape to protect the optics and as a additional protection I will wrap the firearm up in the saran wrap. Quick wipe down with a paper town when I want to use the firearm and I am good to go. Go ahead and use this method on your glock and sheild, it is not going to harm it and will protect it from condensation.

For what it is worth, I have used this method on long term (multi year) storage of firearms in a non climate controlled storage locker and have had success. It is so easy to do with the saran wrap or alum foil, especially for a pistol, that I would not hesitate to do it if you were really concerned

Sincerely,
Crankster

·
Registered
573 Posts
I can’t speak specifically about the handguns specified.....but we keep a Kahr CM9 as a car (pun intended) gun in each of our vehicles. They’ve seen many -20 F and a couple cooler mornings....and weathered (pun again) the temperatures just fine! ;) memtb

Reactions: Madviking

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Temp will not be an issue the issue will be a gun left in the car. Beware a gun in the car can and will be stolen, its just a question of when. If you can't bring a gun into someones home then don't take the gun with you.
Good point. Is a steel gun case with cable attached to the car enough though to provide safety in the car? Basically a small gun safe? Obviously a car itself can be stolen. But the case would be very hard to get into.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the technical side, lubricants will get thick and gum up when cold. Will that impact operation? Depends on the lubricant, where it is, how much and the closeness of fit. A M&P full size is a looser fit gun. A Dan Wesson M1911a1 is a tighter fit gun. So... "It depends".

It's likely that chamber pressure would be higher during cartridge ignition than if the gun and ammunition were at room temperature. So, over pressure ammunition may be at more risk for issues. +P would likely make it. +P+ I wouldn't play with in that cold a gun.

Will a gun left in a car be stolen. Quite a few guns are stolen from guns. You're at considerable risk, lock box and cable or not. Thieves carry bolt cutters. Anything visible (including stickers, signs, firearm oriented license plates) says "steal me first".

If an attack occurs while you're away from your gun, what use is it? This is why you carry concealed, and keep it concealed. It's just nobody else's business that you protect yourself effectively, especially hoplophobes. They make their irrational decisions... I make my rational decisions...

Carry a gun where you're not welcome? Time for a conversation, and some real decision making. Why are you there where someone would not trust you? If someone wants me disarmed, they generally don't get visits.

If you're concerned about child access, get a lock box and keep it in your luggage or brief case. Even a cable lock when you're not carrying it.
Yeah, for either car or bringing it in, I have a small pistol steel lockbox with cable, made for guns. It can actually fit both pistols if needed, as I've done once or twice.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
As mentioned. Cold Temp (or Hot) is not going change the function of the pistol
There have been so many torture tests done on Glocks, they just work (still do not care for them)
They need very little lube and will function without any. So use something light and sparingly

But you never should leave a weapon in a car unattended. In many States you would be in BIG trouble for that

SW shield? I don't know, A Glock Clone;)

One of a gazillion tests

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As mentioned. Cold Temp (or Hot) is not going change the function of the pistol
There have been so many torture tests done on Glocks, they just work (still do not care for them)
They need very little lube and will function without any. So use something light and sparingly

But you never should leave a weapon in a car unattended. In many States you would be in BIG trouble for that

SW shield? I don't know, A Glock Clone;)

One of a gazillion tests

Thanks, as far as unattended, are you saying with a concealed carry license you can't have a gun locked up in a secure lockbox inside? I'm sure that depends on the state, but is that really the law everywhere? I get that the danger is a break in, or for even those secured in a said lockbox, the car being stolen. I apologize, I'm still learning the ropes here. I have been overly cautious so far out of respect for the firearms. I don't even keep my gun loaded at home for that reason.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts