Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Lew Horton, 24-6 a few months ago. A previous owner had for some reason changed out the front sight for a sail from a pretty good sized sailboat.

I didn't think I'd mind the sight, but to tell you the truth it's about as ugly as a wart on Liz Taylor's nose.

How would you go about changing it? Is the pin the only thing? What kind of sight would you use to replace it and where would you find one?

(Yes, I know the real answer is "Take it to a gunsmith," which is what I''ll do, I'm just curious. )

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Well, unfortunately Lew Horton shut down operations in 2019.

Midway may be a good source for replacement pinned sights, but you'd need the measurements for an exact fit.

Another option might be to take the existing sight to a machine shop and have them use a milling machine to adjust the profile and add the surface you want. Expect some costs for an hourly machinist's labor.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't know Lew Horton was out of business, although now that I think of it, I believe I did read it somewhere.

I also dropped S&W a line with the question. Worse thing they can say is "no." I don't expect it to be under warranty.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
There are several factors dictating which front sight is the best. Rear blade height and barrel length are the most critical. It appears that your gun has a short rear blade , .126" or maybe .146". With the short barrel and rear blade it would seem to me your gun would hit very low with the tall front sight. My 66-8 came with a .126" rear blade and short .200" front. They were on the money but my eyes struggled with the short black rear blade. I changed to a white outline .146" rear and that helped but ran me out of down adjustment bringing the POI down. While the gun was at the gunsmith being tuned , I had him install a Dawson .250"H X .100"W fiber optic front and that fixed that. Changing sights can be an interesting adventure. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
"For some reason...". has to be it has shooting high (for him). Step one is see what it does for you. Step next is to find out what you desire remembering you have the option is carefully lower the "sail". When you determine what you want as an end result, measure width/height/length then go shopping I'd start with Brownells and S&W.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Good advice from Waidman.

Until you shoot it how do you know what to change. Fire a box or two and she where it imprints with respect to you sight hold. Than figure what you need to do. Or do you merely object to the Patridge blade? Myself, I would install a gold bead at the top of the blade to make it easier to see. That is a McGivern bead.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly I think it's as ugly as a mud fence. If it had a 6" barrel it would be one thing (I'd still think it was ugly) but on a 3" barrel...It's UGLY. If I can get it changed without too much trouble, great. If not, I'll either live with it, or sell it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
...If I can get it changed without too much trouble, great. If not, I'll either live with it, or sell it....
Front sight is pinned in place so the hardest part will be figuring what you want!

3” barrels in 44 Special are popular with a lot of folks. If you decide to sell you should not have a problem finding buyers. I am one of very few who is not a fan of that combination.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I know what I want. I want whatever it would have shipped with. I just don't like that big honking wart on it's nose. :)

Personally, I'd prefer a 4" one myself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The height of the front sight is determined by where you want the bullet to impact. My guess is that if you reduce its height, it will shoot high.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, I got a reply from the factory this morning. They say I need a .278 red ramp sight and a sight pin.

Parts are on order. $28.05

Reactions: 1av8r and jonesy814
1 - 12 of 12 Posts