Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and/or anyone who knows ;) . I picked up a 1988 629-1 6" stainless Iditarod commemorative, but have been unable to find out much about it. It is #16 of 1000 (or 500, depending on what you read) and in excellent condition, with very little apparent firing.

Any information and or sources of information are appreciated. A quick photo and proof I need a light box. :roll:

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
DWS,
Straight from SCSW3:

Model 629-1, Alaska 1988 Iditarod Race Commemorative

1000 planned with only 545 manufactured, logo of the Iditarod on the sideplate with "1988 Iditarod 1 of 1000" on the barrel. Serial number range AK10001 - AK 10545. Manufactured in 1987. Product code 103604.

Not much more than you already knew, but at least it explains how many were actually made.

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
You're welcome..

Looks like a nice one to have, by the way.

G

·
0 Posts
Presentation smooth N-Frame stocks....I'd love to see the close-up of the right side above the wood...

It has to be my computer, but that looks to be a blued gun.

giz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, more likely the poor photo than your monitor, Giz......it's stainless....perhaps these will help:

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics...never seen that logo before. I would have to say that is one unusual S&W. Frankly, there are not all that many low issue number 629's out there. Good catch....

giz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you....I thought I was in an austerity "no more for me" mode until I saw this......the voice inside my head started screaming "just one more" :shock:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Carl, my book says Alaskan Iditarod commemorative, 1987;545 manufactured. I must be reading it wrong...it's been a long day.

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
f150guy,
Which book are you looking in? If you're in the SCSW3, look on page 258. It's the second listing under the cumulative listings.

Do you see it listed somewhere else in the book? I've seen that happen before..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Carl, I may have misread page 257, product codes and features by years-3rd one down

"103604 Alaska Iditarod commemorative, 1987;545 manufactured"

May have been manufactured in 1987 for the 1988 race?

lihjgq; yup, I see it now. Sorry...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I really need to learn how to read...this book.

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
I see what you're talking about.. I don't know which is correct. Could be either..

That's what I meant when I said earlier that I've seen this before. Sometimes, you can find conflicting information in the SCSW.

I don't doubt the information as a whole, but I also don't 'bet the farm' on what I read in it..

To me, the final word is always Roy Jinks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts