Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi 500. I was hoping you could help me concerning a hammer issue. I have an 'S' prefix 6-1/2" Model 29-2. The issue I'm having with it is that when the hammer starts back [both single & double action] it seems to catch for a second. It happens in the 1st 1/8"-1/4" of travel. I've had the side plate off, and don't see any issues with it. The insides are clean as a whistle. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
753 Posts
Might be the cylinder stop is hanging up on it. Or it could be the sear and it needs a file or two to open up the tolerance. It's one or the other.

To test the cylinder stop, swing open the cylinder, pull the cylinder release knob back, and press the stop down, (either with your finger or use tape) and see if it still acts up.

If it's the sear (thats that lever which lifts up on the hammer before the trigger engages it) check to see if it has clearance on it's swing. Take a feeler gauge and place it between the sear and trigger, while the trigger is at rest. I'm not sure on the specs, but around .010 would be normal. (if I must I'll look it up for you) If it's tighter than that, take a file and dress the sear and open it up a little.

2345ll good luck

G

·
0 Posts
500,I don't mean to butt in on your answer,But If It also happens when he thumb cocks it,The double action sear is not involved.Like you said it could be the cylinder stop or the hand could be rubbing or catching in the window.Really hard to say without having the gun in your own hand.Just my 2c anyway.

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed the cylinder stop drops down about a 1/4" in the slot, then I can feel the 'hang' in the hammer. On my 629 the 'stop' only drops down level with the frame, and the triger and hammer are as smooth as silk. Why is there such a difference in 'stop' travel distance between the two revolvers?-Steve

·
Registered
753 Posts
Aussie44 said:
500,I don't mean to butt in on your answer,But If It also happens when he thumb cocks it,The double action sear is not involved.
Ken
Yes, however there is a air gap between the sear and trigger foot. This gap must be .01 on the front and .013 on the rear (measured with hammer at rest). If the gap is less there will be a binding which might be what's happening. To fix this you file the bottom of the sear maintaining the angle.

Nframesteve:

When originally fitted, the stop is timed so that at no time the top of the ball drops below the edge of the window in the frame. If it does, it can stick in the down position. Your stop was not fit correctly if it drops down that far. Check out the picture. Notice where the "bevel" is.

If the bevel point is too long, the ball may over travel and catch just below the frame window (file to fix). If the bevel point is too short (to much material removed) it may return too quickly, instantly in some cases, jamming the action making cocking impossible. In this case the stop needs replacing.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
500 Magnum,

When you adjust the sear/stop, which do you use? A file or stone? Which file or stone would you recommend? Are there jigs available for that kind of work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Your file is your best friend.
Put the part in a nice bench vise and then file (medium flat file) away from you (files only work 1 way, dragging a file backwards dull the teeth)
I use stones to chase burrs or polish surfaces. Also on the hammer/ trigger hooks, where it must be smooth, flat and sharp.

In the above problem, someone outside the factory might have swapped parts at one time in the past as normally they go out in good working order. Also the sear on the s&w revolver must swing out, away from the hammer, that's why I was insisting on making sure that there isn't a tight spot or a binding issue. The feeler gage fits on the bottom of the sear. A little space is all you need (.010).

I don't know if there are jigs for doing these adjustments or not, just match the exsisting angle while holding the file flat. That's why a good vise is important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts