Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been given the go ahead by my lady friend to buy another gun. I’ve been looking at a couple 19s was wondering if all 19s have the same high polish blue? There’s a 19-3 snub I’m looking at and in the pics it seems a lot blacker and not quite as shiny as the 4 inch models I’ve seen. I’ve looked around here and online and some pics the snub looks shiny and bright. Is this just lightning in the pictures or wear? The 4 “ ones I’ve looked at online have all seemed high polished.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
That age I would say the same blue, it depends if the gun was polished before pictures, I can tell you this its a gorgeous "Blue" when cleaned.... Good luck on purchase mate!

thewelshm

Reactions: Boriqua and Curt360

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Guns in most good pictures have been polished up some. I have bought a couple used revolvers that had a dull dark look and they cleaned up to a bright, blued finish. That being said there was some slight variance in the blueing over the years and some guns were given more of a satin blued finish. The newer guns . . . .mid 80's on, are done with a different process than the old guns and do appear to have a blacker finish

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m pretty much strictly looking at pinned and recessed so usually -3s or -4s. The nicer ones probably have had a good polishing that makes sense, not a print on em. I love the look of the nice blued ones.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is always some variation in factory finishes. Back in the '70s/'80s I had 2 1/2", 4" and 6" model 19s. All polished blue, with only the minor variations common in production items.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have two 19-2's one has a blue finish so deep it looks as though you could fall into it. The other looks nice, but it is just not as deep a blue-black color. If you are not familiar with how a refinished gun looks vs one that still has the original finish, it can be hard to gauge whether it has been refinished.

Deep blue-black:

Not-so blue-black:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would I go about polishing up a blued gun? I know you can’t use flitz or anything like that. Would you just wax it? And yeah the ones I’m looking at are the darker blacker looking finish. Both -3. The 4” has the box which I like but I’m torn because I really like the snub 19. I know a few thinks to look out for on a refinish and I’ve handle a few examples of great original factory bluing.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
How would I go about polishing up a blued gun? I know you can’t use flitz or anything like that. Would you just wax it? And yeah the ones I’m looking at are the darker blacker looking finish. Both -3. The 4” has the box which I like but I’m torn because I really like the snub 19. I know a few thinks to look out for on a refinish and I’ve handle a few examples of great original factory bluing.
I use Solvol Autosol its cleans the "Rust" that essentially sits on the Blue after time. It works spectacularly, and does not harm the finish whatsoever. Korth owners use it a lot.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=solvo...e6a4d46fc8c542b08d445754d&cc=US&setlang=en-US

thewelshm

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
So I’ve been given the go ahead by my lady friend to buy another gun. I’ve been looking at a couple 19s was wondering if all 19s have the same high polish blue? There’s a 19-3 snub I’m looking at and in the pics it seems a lot blacker and not quite as shiny as the 4 inch models I’ve seen. I’ve looked around here and online and some pics the snub looks shiny and bright. Is this just lightning in the pictures or wear? The 4 “ ones I’ve looked at online have all seemed high polished.
Is this the shine you are looking for?
This one isn't waxed or polished. It's just how it came.
lt side.jpg

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Blueing, like any other finish, has several steps & tricks of the trade. How fresh the solution is, how many times it's used before refreshing, metal preparation, etc. are all factors. Most new S&W's of a few years ago were very nice from the factory but some not quite as nice due to the above. Many (most) aren't kept as clean & oiled as they could have been. Generally a good oil & polishing does wonders.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You guys are killing me .. I LOVE those old deep blued finishes .. I mean LOVE .. and I dont own a single gun with one. So I either have to buy a slight beater and blue it myself or get searching for an old one with that finish. I have a few years breathing time left so I have some time but .. I have to have to have one. DROOL!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts