Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone. Steven from Anchorage, AK. Had a quick question about the Backpacker. Saw it in a store today and it caught my interest. Been looking for a Ruger Alaskan, but since rugers had their problems lately, and I've ALWAYS wanted a nice SW revolver, I'm heavily considering this one instead. I will use it mainly for protection out in the wild. It will shoot hot loads quite a bit. I'm looking for ease of carry, reliability, but most of all a short barreled .44 that is accurate and that will stop a 900lb grizzly. I really like the gun, but I havent been able to find much information on it. If anyone has any quick info on it please let me know! Thank you!

Steven

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
A snub nose is desighned for concealed carry.They are are for people who live in cities who have to protect themselves from other people or cops who keep them as a back up gun.
Your say your going with hot loads and are going from the strongest gun ,known for being able to handle the hottest loads to a snub nose smith.Your going to blow a lot of pressure out the barrel losing power with that short barrel.Your hot loads will be a waste and the muzzle is going to jump making a second shot even more difficult.If you load a ruger only hot load in the thing your going to have some gun parts scattered around along with some of your fingers.
I would stick with a four inch barrel or a six.If you want to shoot the real hot loads your going to have to stick with a Ruger.I think a snub nose 44 magnum is a joke.But I am a old opinionated red neck and just put my two cents in.

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
I gotta say that OneNut is right! kfjdrfirii For heavy loads, you're better off with a 4" barrelled Ruger. That being said.......I'd prefer to carry a short barrelled 12 Ga. slug gun. If I was worried about big bears, I wouldn't mind the inconvience of carrying
a long gun. kubvcabo :roll: Bob

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Steven,

1st off, welcome to the forum. This is a very friendly place and there are a lot of Knowledgeable folk too. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. ;) I've only been on this S&W kick for a couple of years now, but I'm pretty sure that if hot loads are your desire that you should make sure the 629 was made in 1989 or later. If so it would have the "endurance package" with the hardened frame. However, I don't know if the Backpacker was made before or after 1989...sorry.
Hope that helps.

Cush

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I think you have been the recipient of good advise; 4 inch barrel and Endurance package for heavy loads in a S&W 44 magnum. . .Now I see a 900 pound grizzly as 900 pounds of sinew and bone that can move upwards of 35 miles per hour. Ease of carry is comfortable and nice, but why send a boy to do a man's job.
But if you are hung up on a snub nose revolver may I suggest:

The large snub nose is S&W 460 Magnum, compared to a mod.66, 357 mag. . .The large round is a 460 S&W Mag and the smaller a 44 magnum. . .Just having a little fun with you Steven and welcome to the Forum.

Hank

·
Registered
668 Posts
You might also consider such as the 500 Magnum S&W....

I've seen those in 2 1/2"....but I don't know anyone who has routinely fired them.

My part of the country regularly has reports of large black bear and cougar. None of them approach 900 pounds....still, 4-600 pounds of angry black bear sow bearing down rapidly would give the proper appreciation for such large ordinance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am not a bear lover after my son had a face to face with a 450 grizzly by our chicken coop. He was lucky and the bear turned after being shot with a 20ga. slug twice at 20 yards and less. The bear turned and went uphill 100 yards and took several minutes to die. All the while breaking 3-4" lodgepole pine. Found her dead the next morning. The bear could have kept coming and got my son if she wanted.
If you never heard a grizzly growling and busting trees in the black of night within 100 feet of you, you don't know what scared is.
Here is my OPINION and that is all it is based on my sons experiance. (By the way I was there).
When I'm in the woods I carry a S&W 4" 629 in a shoulder holster. On the other side of the shoulder holster I carry bear spray and two extra speed loaders. The spary first to slow them down and the 44 to make a decent shot while they are mometarily stopped by the spray....... IF I THINK I will probally run into grizzlies I carry a Rem. 870 with the plug removed loaded with slugs. A pistol grip instead of a butt stock on a sling.
I have not had to use either yet and hope I never do but just in case I want to be prepared. That is my opinion for what it is worth. If you are set on a handgun get a Ruger and please carry bear spray to slow them down. I don't know anyone who is good enough to shoot a charging bear with a handgun. I'm not talking about being a good shot. I'm talking about nerves. My son was very lucky and things turned out well for him.

John

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
That would convince me to carry that 870....whenever I went outside!!!!! kubvcabo Bob

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the 3 inch 44 mag,

but if I were going up against a pissed off bear, I'd carry the 4 inch 500.

The 500 will punch thru that hide quite easily.

·
Registered
668 Posts
"a S&W 4" 629 in a shoulder holster. On the other side of the shoulder holster I carry bear spray and two extra speed loaders. The spary first to slow them down and the 44 to make a decent shot while they are mometarily stopped by the spray....... IF I THINK I will probally run into grizzlies I carry a Rem. 870 with the plug removed loaded with slugs"

...Just the set up for a run to the 7/11 in certain parts of our urban outback.... omg01

1 - 13 of 13 Posts