Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I had a question about using jhp ammuntion. From what I gather it's better for self defense if your hitting body tissue. It seems like it almost requires soft tissue to open up. I have heard some people say that if the hole gets filled with "hard material", it might not open up properly. So, if i was interested in using an ammunition for head shots (hunting), would it be better to just go with a fmj bullet vs hollowpoints. I assume the hard surface of the skull my not allow the jhp to expand properly.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hi everyone. I had a question about using jhp ammuntion. From what I gather it's better for self defense if your hitting body tissue. It seems like it almost requires soft tissue to open up. I have heard some people say that if the hole gets filled with "hard material", it might not open up properly. So, if i was interested in using an ammunition for head shots (hunting), would it be better to just go with a fmj bullet vs hollowpoints. I assume the hard surface of the skull my not allow the jhp to expand properly.
Head shots are not reliable for hunting.

Use an expanding bullet and hit the lungs.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
What the hell you hunting with a 45... Sewer rats?

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I agree that a heart/lung shot is preferable to trying to brain one. And, more humane. The failure of handgun ammunition to expand as advertised is documented and debated. The use of round nose "solids" on dangerous African game is also common. Then again a pig is not a rhino. If you can keep your hits inside the X ring I doubt it much matters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts