Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across an old K-frame post-victory model. It's a 4" .38 special. The serial number is S848xxx. Finish is shot (no rust,) but mechanically sound. The grips on it fit, and are for a K-frame, but are totally wrong (too modern.) I've heard that the S prefix puts it between 1946 and 1948. I also understand that this is not a Pre-model 10 because it is not '49-'57. All serial numbers match except for a weird "B7" stamped under the cylinder crane on the frame. The hammer seems to fall into the pre-war style but surprisingly blocks the rear sight before it is cocked single or double action. If you guys could provide some insight into this one I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Once they hit serial number V 1 million, they went to an S prefix and continued making the same gun until around 48. Once the war was over they went back to a blued finish and deleted the lanyard ring, but the guns were still the old long action. the S prefix ran until the 2nd million was made then in March of 48 they started over with a C prefix. Around April of 48 the short actin hammer was introduced, which are basically a pre model 10. The B7 stamp is likely an inspection stamp or an assembly number

1 - 3 of 3 Posts