Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came up with a savage 99 in 300 savage yesterday. I was looking through my dies just now and found my RCBS
308 neck sizer die. Two questions, can the 308 neck sizer be used on my once fired 300 brass and can the 308 seater die be used for 300 reloads.
Cliff

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Writing as one known to break the rules... I would not be surprised if both might work given distances from rim to shoulder and the shorter neck of the Savage. Having said that I would simply buy a cheap set of Lee's dedicated to the purpose, especially if I had a .308.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes - dies for .300 Savage are easily available online for between $30 and $39, depending on maker (Lee cheapest, Hornady etc higher), as is brass (you can use almost any .308 diameter 150-180 grain pointed bullet as long as the overall round length is within specs).
I would not risk firing rounds loaded with dies for a different round.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Cliff,
I have a box of 300 savage reloads - 20 rounds that a friend gave me. If you would like, I can pull the pills, dump the powder, pull the primers, and then mail the casings to you.
Maybe that might help you getting started.

Let me know......

Geachecker

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dies and crimp die are on the way. Brass, all four dies, and bullets are on the way,$150 to set up for the 300. My original question was about using my 308 neck sizing on my once-fired brass. One I got the brass & dies out and looked at them I decided it would involve probably involve shortening my 308 die. Too much trouble.
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll still neck-size my once fired brass in this old lever action.
Cliff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts