Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend lost his job after 15 years. I gave him a small loan and I guess for pride he gave me a model 14 for collateral, even though I would have given him the small amount of money.

Anyway, he knows less about guns than I do. The pistol will not advance the cylinder. Looking at it, it looks like it is missing the Hammer Block. Question - does the hammer block hold the Hand in place so as to advance the cylinder or am I missing any thing else?

Wanted to fix it up for him as a favor and make sure the gun functions as it should. Are there any springs or such that I am missing that would hold the hammer block and thus the hand in place.

Also going to put a new spring kit from midway in it, anything tips on that?
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Oil and grease can, and goes, turn into glue after a while. The first thing I would do is give it a good cleaning. There are some very good pointers in the FAQ section that will help you out. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I thought about it through the night and remembered my 19 or 64 should be functionally the same, I'll give them a look.
Someone had put something on it and it had turned white like you said. I thought it was some kind of lacquer because it would not come off with any cleaner or soaking. Someone gave me a tip about soaking it in white vinegar for 30-60 minutes. Worked great, took it all the way down to the bare metal which is what the guy who owned it said he wanted and then reblued. It was in rough shape but is coming along nicely if I can get that hand to hold in place.
He'll have a decent gun with very little in it, the grooves in the barrel are very nice, hardly shot. It's called a Targetmaster and I think it will hold up to it's billing.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The hand attaches to the trigger and the cylinder hangs all by itself underneth. They are seperate from each other. BouncyG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts