Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the Python (2020) back to the range this morning and ran 150 rounds of my reloads through it. Everything went fine until about 125 rounds or so, when I got a "misfire." Upon checking I found the cartridge had fired, but nothing had happened. A classic cylinder didn't advance situation. I tried a couple of dry fired and everything worked, so I figured I had done something goofy and went back to shooting. A couple of cylinders later...same thing.

This time I did some more investigating and found the two screws on the left side were loose. The one over the trigger was so loose the sideplate wasn't pulled down flush. I got out the screwdriver (always in my range bag) and tightened both both up and went back to shooting. No more issues for the remaining 25 rounds, and I don't know how many dry fires since. Total rounds to date, 500.

Purple locktite is on the shopping list.

We all like pictures.

The screws in question are on the left side, just ahead of the trigger, and under the grip. Since the sideplate serves to hold all those little parts in the right place if they get loose all the internals can get all cattywampus and out of wack.

This one was fired D/A standing up. About 100 rounds.

PythonT1.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
For a new gun with a $1500 MSRP that Colt has to be counting on to repair it's damaged quality reputation, the number of reported problems and failures is disturbing. Apparently yours was a simple fix but it shouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
It pretty typical of what we are hearing about the New Pythons. Lots of problems. Hickock .45 documented some on his your tube review. Two that have been sold here in this area are both lemons and are being sent back to Colt. Some How i suspect a recall in the near future. To many bad things being said about the New Python. Again Colts rush to get things done . ?? Poor quality control?? New MIM parts ?? Whatever the problem they better get it fixed and fixed fast or their company may not be around any more .. !!

Just my thoughts

·
Super Moderator
19,545 Posts
Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
18,799 Posts
Same thing I read, guy had issues and he found same screws loose, tightened and no more issues. Hopefully Colt is documenting this. Really sucks that they leave like that or bigger issue is if they are backing out , why? Took a while but seems you happened upon the same issue others have found. Should not need locktite in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
Nice shooting, but everyone wants to hear that its broken. Not some piddly report of loose screws ;).
Seriously though, I'm glad that's all it was and hope you have continued good luck with your Python.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
I hope they get a fix, they are a pretty gun...

thewelshm

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hey CB,

Fine shooting! Good Gunsmithing..........BATMAN! :D

Glad you have that "Snake" straightened out!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Loose screws? Big deal. I have a couple of revolvers that I've owned for almost 30 years. S&W's. Not uncommon for one or more of them to have the bottom side-plate screw back out. Even lost one in the carpet while doing some dry fire practice. Thankfully found it w/ a magnet and flashlight. Booger to replace. Little bit of light duty LockTight applied. No more loose screws backing out/falling out. Cool. Good fix. Better than putting a lot of beef behind a screw driver and having a problem w/ a messed up screw/scratched gun. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
" PRETTY " Don't make them shoot any better .
"Pretty" doesn't make them shoot any worse either. And this one shoots quite well I might add.

A couple of loose screws is hardly a reason to weep, moan, and gnash my teeth. It's not indicative of a major quality problem. Remember I had over 400 rounds through it before I had to tighten a screw. They were tight when I got it. I know because I checked them.

Should it have happened? Hell, I don't know. I've heard all my life that screws in Colt P Models (SAA) were famous for loosening up and should be checked periodically. I'll probably add some lock-tite to those screws, but if not it's not really a big deal to snug 'em every once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
19,545 Posts
I've been told on more than one occasion that I have a few screws loose. This inconvenience with the current Python's certainly wouldn't detract me from buying one.
More importantly, it looks and sounds like Colt has finally resolved the timing issues many of the old Pythons had.
CB, enjoy this one in good health.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Super Moderator
33,417 Posts
Looks like a beautiful Python and shoot fine also!

·
Registered
9,501 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
O have no dog or horse in this "fight" but I don't think for a top tier expensive gun the owners should have to tighten screws after x number of rounds,?? Yep I have LockTite but should I need to??

Ya I am just that way if spending big money on anything.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts