Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our last episode, I reported that the sideplate screws on my 2020 Python had loosed up and caused the dreaded cylinder skip problem. At least that's what I blamed the problem on since it had never occurred before, and it didn't again for the rest of the rounds I had with me that day.

Well, today I went back to the range with 100 rounds of reloads, a bit over P+ 38, in 357 brass, with 158 grain RN Berry's plated bullets. Not a hot load at all by 357 Magnum standards. The 100 rounds went off without a problem, and the screws showed no sign of loosening this time. Not a definitive test, since it was only 100 rounds, but it points in the right direction. This bring my total to over 600 rounds.

BTW. I hadn't added any thread sealer to the screws, just tightened them up with a screwdriver. I'll be keeping an eye on them as we go forward.

The gun seems to like the load. From 30 feet, fired mostly D/A. The outliers are the fault of the shooter, not the gun, I promise.

02-29-20.jpg

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Good to hear its still running great for you. I saw an article where Colt had been contacted about what they were doing in regards to fixing any issues. One of their fixes is that they are starting to put thread locker on the sideplate screws. To address the light strike issue some have had they are installing a slightly heavier mainspring

·
Registered
22,230 Posts
Glad things are functioning well. Great shooting!:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some nice shooting! Hope to keep reading your first hand reviews but it looks like a fun gun!
Yes Hank. I've been a member there for a couple of years. Nice place. Good people.

It's run (owned?) by Green Top now you know.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Good shooting CB. My only concern about the new Python is that the gun shop doesn't know when they'll get some in. The first four incher is mine.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good shooting CB. My only concern about the new Python is that the gun shop doesn't know when they'll get some in. The first four incher is mine.
Yea...I want a 4" myself now. It's a "fetish" for me. :)

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to keep everyone update. Another 100 rounds of P+ 38 reloads in 357 cases. No problems of any kind. Not only that but I am starting to enjoy this gun more than any other I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. I don't know the last centerfire gun I've fired 700 rounds through. I know that's not a lot of most people, but it's unusual for me. It is just a joy to shoot. The more I shoot it, the better I shoot it. And I'm shooting it almost entirely D/A now. The D/A trigger is so smooth that I just don't see any reason not to. I must have gotten "into a groove" yesterday. The last 50 rounds or so, I spent watching the white 10/X ring on the target getting smaller and smaller.

But most importantly, I'm starting to enjoy shooting again. I had gotten bored with it. Since I got this Python, I've gone at least once a week. I get up early enough on Saturday to be there when they open the door, so I can beat the weekend crowd. My wife used to use a walker, but doesn't need it much anymore, so I've hijacked it to use as a carry buggy, and a place to rest my old back when I get tired. Then I can rest up for a minute while I unload, put the spent brass up, and reload again.

Now I gotta get busy and clean this thing up.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Nice update CB. If the Python recharges your enjoyment of shooting , money well spent I'd say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts