Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
Bill, The old Colts are the best Colts! Why sell them? You surely don't need the money. Besides.....what else would you buy? I say that, you'd be crazy to sell them! They are, probably, the MOST COLLECTABLE GUNS out there! But, they're your guns....... not mine!nvpAN Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've seen a number of early post-war Smiths selling for Python money lately, so I'd say they are just as collectible.

Hopefully this will bring the price of shooter grade Pythons down a bit... cause I'd still like to have one I can shoot. I've passed on a couple of 2 1/2" snakes over the last couple years because I didn't want high dollar safe queens.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Bill that is a very nice Python collection. If you sell I hope you get top dollar. The new Python looks good and I would guess the same people who build the new cobra for Colt are building the new Python. I think they may sell for a little less than MSRP after they are out for a while just like the new Cobra did. I am interested in the 4.25" one.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
All
That link shows a MSRP of $1500. That won't buy any older Python. They must have learned how to make them a little more efficient.
I think I will continue to wear out my old Pythons. Shooters all.
At the August gun show here in Yuma, I had my Pythons in a DISPLAY ONLY case and a gent offered to buy all three of them if I would put a price on them. I declined.
If he is at this week ends gun show, I may go for the money.
[email protected]
I wouldnt sell those bad boys unless I had an emergency that needed funding or I thought I might be ready to leave the planet and want to leave money instead of saleable goods for my loved ones. They are awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I don't think the price is outrageous. I don't buy many guns in that price range, but I have purchased a couple. That's why they invented layaway. :)

I had a Python a number of years ago now. I really liked it. I don't know if it was any better than any other gun, but it was a Python. I wanted a Python, and nothing else, no matter how good it was, would scratch that itch. Alas, I had to sell it during my "personal economic downturn" (AKA unemployed) and I really needed the money. I figured I'd never get another one, but now....maybe.

Some people will say it's not like the old Pythons. Well, considering the stories I see on the internet about how fragile they were, and easily they got out of time and had to be repaired, and how nobody today can fix them, maybe that's a good thing. But since I spend a lot more time looking at and fondling my guns than I do shooting them, it really doesn't matter (to me).

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
BTW. GREAT guns Bill. Remind me to be jealous. ;)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I’ve owned several Pythons over the years. The only one I have left is the first one I purchased in 1981. And I keep that one because it was my first handgun. I’ll look at one of these if I ever run across one. I won’t however, pay the prices being asked for the old ones.

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
Its funny I have a second cousin who keeps posting about this on Facebook. Its funny because he has a criminal record and cannot own one.

Once he got off drugs he stopped being a violent thief and he's actually trying to make restitution to his victims.

Both happened because he received the gospel.

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
I've owned 4" & 6" Pythons, fine guns but I sold them when the price doubled & found some of my S&W's would outshoot them. Pythons need to be retimed regularly but aren't hard to work on. They aren't as rugged as S&W's or Rugers & too pricey. I'll pass.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I've owned 4" & 6" Pythons, fine guns but I sold them when the price doubled & found some of my S&W's would outshoot them. Pythons need to be retimed regularly but aren't hard to work on. They aren't as rugged as S&W's or Rugers & too pricey. I'll pass.
True....re-timed. I've re-timed mine twice. Yet there are "supposidly" pyhton owners out there that claim I mistreated my gun saying that they have shot 1000's of rds with no problem or no out of time.........To those I say BULL HOCKEY!....They in reality probably don't even own one........BTW......My 40+ year old Smiths have never had to be re-timed.

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Sounds like they beefed them up a bit under the rear sight. They say for added strength, but I bet it was to accommodate a transfer bar\internal firing pin type ignition system. The weight for the 4 inch is 42 ounces, the same as a 4 inch N model 27, but the balance will be different with the full underlug. At least they didn't try to redesign the look of the gun like they did with other recent revolver releases.
The internal lockworks have no doubt been redesigned so it would be interesting to compare the trigger pulls on an old and a new one
They look nice but if I had that kind of money to spend on a revolver right now I would be getting a nice 3.5 inch M27

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
WELL Once again Colt hopes that an old re- issuance of a classic will pull them out of debt and financial trouble. Colt shoots itself in the foot with the Colt New Frontier a SAA with target sights that came in so expensive the common man could no buy it. A failure. Next they bring back the Detective Special with a terrible trigger. Anybody remember the failure of the Colt Auto 2000?? Another failure. Recently colt came back out with the Cobra at a price that has many still sitting on the shelves. Oh and lets not forget that fact that Colt, due to political pressure, will no longer sell their AR-15 to civilians and only to LEO's and Military. Again another shot in their foot.

So now the people have been collecting Colt Pythons at EXTREMELY HIGH prices have been clamoring for COLT to Re - Issue the Python. A Stainless Steel , 4 and 6 inch revolver with MIM parts a 3 LBS single action trigger pull and a 9 lbs double action trigger pull with is basically incapable of being worked on to tuned and has NO had fitting. Going to being the gun it at a price of $1,799.00 MSRP of which again the common working man probably can't afford. A gun to big and Heavy for concealed carry , A 6 shot revolver while most Smith Wesson L frames are now 7 shot and most N frames are now "Special" 8 shots.

The question is will the people who clamored and begged for the Pythons return , open their wallets and shell out the cash to buy the Python again ??

I got a feeling that the answer is a NO they won't.

Just my thoughts

Layne12gun

ps. I can buy two older Smith Wesson J frames or small autos at the price of one Python. Let sleeping snake's lie ..

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
WELL Once again Colt hopes that an old re- issuance of a classic will pull them out of debt and financial trouble. Colt shoots itself in the foot with the Colt New Frontier a SAA with target sights that came in so expensive the common man could no buy it. A failure. Next they bring back the Detective Special with a terrible trigger. Anybody remember the failure of the Colt Auto 2000?? Another failure. Recently colt came back out with the Cobra at a price that has many still sitting on the shelves. Oh and lets not forget that fact that Colt, due to political pressure, will no longer sell their AR-15 to civilians and only to LEO's and Military. Again another shot in their foot.

So now the people have been collecting Colt Pythons at EXTREMELY HIGH prices have been clamoring for COLT to Re - Issue the Python. A Stainless Steel , 4 and 6 inch revolver with MIM parts a 3 LBS single action trigger pull and a 9 lbs double action trigger pull with is basically incapable of being worked on to tuned and has NO had fitting. Going to being the gun it at a price of $1,799.00 MSRP of which again the common working man probably can't afford. A gun to big and Heavy for concealed carry , A 6 shot revolver while most Smith Wesson L frames are now 7 shot and most N frames are now "Special" 8 shots.

The question is will the people who clamored and begged for the Pythons return , open their wallets and shell out the cash to buy the Python again ??

Just my thoughts

Layne12gun

ps. I can buy two older Smith Wesson J frames or small autos at the price of one Python. Let sleeping snake's lie ..
You could get 2 of most S&W revolvers for under $1500, 3 if you are you aren't real picky about exterior condition.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
I have an older Cobra I carry and did not like the feel of the New Cobra at all. I have had an opportunity to hold several older Pythons and they did nothing for me. I do not see the new snake changing my mind either. I will be perfectly happy with my Smith 27 and 28 and Rugers.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts

Just my thoughts

Layne12gun

But I might watch their stock after this release, it could be Colt’s K car? I will be buying a little to see:).. it’ll suck if I’m right, then I should have bought a lot..:(

Thewelshm

Reactions: BonitaBob

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was never really impressed with the Colt Pythons I saw guys carrying on the job when I was using K and L frame Smiths. It's hard to say if I'd be a buyer on the re-make. For me, it'd have to have a 2.5" to 3" barrel and I'd want to know more about the internals. I knew guys that had to have their Pythons gone over by gunsmiths to remain in time while my Model 10 had a trigger just as good and didn't miss a beat, despite being abused. Oh, and the cylinder latch still goes the wrong way as well.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

Just my thoughts

Layne12gun

I think the new Python will appeal mostly to us grey hair people (older buyers that remember the older Python's). Not many younger buyers will want to spend around $1500 for a revolver. It seems that most younger buyers are into Polymer this and that for around $400.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts