Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prolly ought to have to blame Leighton for this ;)

Picked up a Puma White Hunter on the ride home tonight. Trying to figure out the date of birth of it...Numbers are 11 6375 on the blade. I know there are ways to interpret this into the manufacture date...but do not know where to look on the web...

Anyone?

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks C. :)

I found it tonight. It was still in it's sheath in the original box. No paperwork. Appears to have been carried hunting, but never used. Knife itself is minty new...the sheath shows sign of wear...

Hard to judge values on the Puma's as what I find is all over the boards. I paid $165 and hope I am in the ballpark.

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Looking at Leighton's gun and knife photos will get you in trouble! :)

I've misplaced it, but mine came with a neat little wallet-size card with illustrations showing uses for all the various edges

BTW, I'm looking and I can't find numbers anywhere on my White Hunter. :?:

The best thing about 'em is that the name is sooo politically incorrect. I can't believe that Puma hasn't changed it to "Safari Hunter" or something similar.

I got into a little trouble with my dad and grandad when I showed up at the house with mine....for foolishly spending all that money on an over-priced over-sized gadget knife with a silly name. Over the years, it has proven to be a very useful camp knife.

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Giz, Please post a pic, and if possible a pic of the control number, box and such. It will help with dating. By the way 165.00 is a steal on any model White Hunter!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wish I knew were mine was?? :(
Bought mine brand spanking new back in 1964 for all of $10 bucks. Carried that thing everywhere hunting/fishing/camping for a good thirty years till I moved to my current home in 1986, haven't seen it since the move?? :roll:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
b.thomas said:
Wish I knew were mine was??....Carried that thing everywhere.... till I moved to my current home in 1986, haven't seen it since the move??
Losing knives in a move doesn't surprise me. My SIL lost a small but very nice knife collection when a military sub-contractor moved them from San Antonio to Arizona. They pack and label all your stuff - otherwise they won't insure its safe delivery....but the "Knife Collection" label on the box must've been too tempting for a thief somewhere along the way! It's been several years since that happened - and still no satisfaction.

C.Pierce,

The prior to 1964 thing makes sense. I bought it ~1963-64, and had admired it in the glass case at the hardware store for a few years before that.

Can you date White Hunters by sheath design? My sheath is not as sturdy or as well-designed as later ones.

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Prior to 1964, actually, October 1964 Puma didn't mark any of their knives. As to the sheath it is somewhat possible to date them, but with the ease of switching out the knife for another, well you see where I'm going with this. Its also one of the reasons I asked Giz for a pic of his with the case/box sheath, and a closeup of the number. Not to doubt C. Pierce, but when I checked my chart something didn't jive on the numbers.

GIz, I'm very sorry I forgot to congratulate you on a great find!!!! Be careful Puma's can be as bad as S&W's and Rugers, and BlackPowder guns!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I bought one for my brother as a hello VIET NAM present. Before he shipped out he was told that a big hunting knife was a good thing there. I had his name and service # engraved on the handle. It sure looked spiffy but it sure looked a lot worse when I saw it a year and a half later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Puma White hunter

I just picked up one of these on a trade for some computer work. The blade is marked 116375, and the serial number is 30691. The box has a UPC code of 015286163752. Can someone help me date this? I'm looking to sell it for the cash I had in the computers and need to know its worth.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Al Sharpton says it's just trash from a racist knife maker.
I'll take two please

1 - 15 of 15 Posts