Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....yes that's FOUR times now....

My local 'smith tells me to send it back to the factory...

Taurus International wants me to pay the shipping and wait 5-8 weeks for them to do something.

The gun operates just fine. What happens is about 3 or 4 magazines into a bit of practice.....the L ambidextrous thumb safety disarticulates with the R ambidextrous thumb safety and parts start falling off.

The repair to date has been to put the parts back together & resume firing.

'Smith is tired of it. Shooter is tired of it. Seems to be a fine gun otherwise.

Remedies anyone?

EDIT:
OK.....got the Ed Brown extended combat safety, one sided. Was going to install myself...ran into a little difficulty...took to my 'smith....he had to file on FOUR surfaces of the safety but finally got it to fit perfectly!!!

Took it out and managed to get a whole box of ammo through it, and nothing fell off....yet.... hpzl;n; Here's hoping.......

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Re: PT1911 thumb safety fell off again again again again.....

This thread seems eerily familiar. Did you post this story about 2 or 3 months ago and the htread kept building.
And then you made an entry that your smith had figured it out and did some grinding or filing on on of the parts to avoid an interference issue? And it seemed to be fixed?

Please let me know. If it was your post, sorry about the bad news that his fix didn't work.
If it wasn't you then I'll need to start digging and find the answer for you and your smith.
~GQ~

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

I'm not a big fan of ambi safeties on 1911's, but if you're left handed, I can see how it might be useful. In all of my weak hand shooting, I still disengage the safety with a nudge of the first knuckle of my left hand. I've never used the right-hand side.

My solution has been to replace with a single side safety. If you don't need the ambi, get rid of it. I've found them more of a nuisance than anything.

I remember when Taurus had pretty slick customer service. Such is not the case anymore?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

gearchecker: yes....this IS the "Taurus Zone" where men's minds merge maddeningly with meaningless misery....

and LeMat: I'm checking with Brownells today for parts.

I ain't crazy about sending otherwise useful pistols to Miami for unknown periods of time...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Update:

Brownell tech guy didn't know for sure whether their replacement safety would work on Taurus.

Any one ever done this refit?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

If it's a standard ambi, you should just be able to replace it with a single side, no problem. You may have to do some fitting, but don't just look at the original safety and take off the same amount of material from the new one. You'll need to go slow and easy until it functions properly. It's not terribly difficult. If you want, I can post some pictures to show you where it may need to be fitted.

Another thing, you may want to get a new hammer and sear pin as your existing ones should be flat on the right side in order to clear the right side safety. Pins on a single side safety gun will be radiused on the end and look much better.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

This thread:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index ... pic=3229.0

Had some awesome pictures and I can't do any better than that. I've installed only about 5 single side safeties, but none on a Taurus. I've found that the only area that needed to be fitted was the sear engagement area in the ones I've done.

·
Registered
33 Posts

This a common problem with Taurus, just a word of warning... the guide road and sight are soon to follow also. I happened to be on the range with a fellow instructor and witnessed all three of these parts project from his weapon.
Not a happy feeling. I would highly recommend you simply install new parts. I myself am not partial to the ambi safety it really serves no... tactical purpose. I get the whole theory... however, if you must have it, buy a better part.
I recommend Ed Brown. The Colt Series 70 I had built encompasses all Ed Brown Hardcore parts for several reasons. Production and reliability... you can't beat it.
Taurus is having some interesting quality control issues.

Take care

Dutch1911
1/*

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

update on the PT:

continued issue with ambi falling off....I've now read all the forum sites I can find on the problem.

I even took the Crimson Laser grips off and installed the original stock black wood versions just in case.....to no effect. It takes 5-6 rounds to break the ambi safety saddle apart no matter how carefully it's assembled. By the 2nd magazine it comes completely apart and is ready to fly across the range floor.

Found a Ed Brown combat safety single side....and while I've read all the little hints/etc and though 'maybe I ~could~ install myself....the first hint was it really DID want to be 'custom fit' was a little too much hesitation with the plunger/spring. I fiddled a bit and overcame that....but something else was unhappy so the !STOP! aspect of the safety was very effective, while it didn't respond to my soothing words of reconciliation and loving support. I had been warned about easily over-doing so I put down my side grinder before plunging ahead. Have appt w/ my 'smith in the morning....

Hope the sights/etc don't prove to be as hopeless as the Charles Daly of recent but now-departed memory....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts