Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reloaded some of this tonight. I had never loaded any of it before, but it seems to be all right. This brass seems to be a little thicker than most, like the old military .38spl brass I used to load years ago. Sized in a modern Lee carbide sizer die and loaded with a .358 cast bullet it exhibits the classic wasp waist look recommended by Elmer Kieth for the .44mag with cast bullets. Loaded rounds seem to chamber properly in my M65-5, but I haven't fired any, or reloaded them more than once. Anyone had any experience with this brass? I just wondered since I am a little suspect of non USA components. I will post my results from further use of this brass.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I've shot hundreds of Prvi factory cartridges, they're good. So I have hundreds of cases ready to reload if I ever get primers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good ammo, and good brass for reloading. Never had any problems with pistol brass, and have loaded the same box of range pick up 38 special brass 4 or 5 times.
The rifle brass is perhaps a little hard, as some of mine started to split a bit earlier than it should have.
Annealing has stopped the problem, and i continue to keep pounding away at it.
The only problem I have is finding it in stock right now. I keep looking for 7.5 X 55 Swiss and its been sold out for several months.

·
Banned
16,608 Posts
Privi makes very good brass.

Lost in the woods... Hopefully.
Their brass is ok, their factory loads are very suspect. Coup[le years ago I bought 3 20 round boxes of 300 grain .338 Lapua Privi rounds and immediately had misfires in my Savage 11-111. It was like one ignited and 2 didn't, so being the person I am, I pulled all the bullets and powder and I was utterly amazed. Amazed that one, the seating depth was very inconsistent, two the pills were mixed, that is, the bullets were different in design from one case to another and 3, the charges were very inconsistent in weight (don't have a clue about the propellant kind as it did not look like the H1000 I use.

I tossed the pills in the scrap can, dumped the propellant in the garbage, popped the primers, resized the cases, annealed them and reprimed with Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers, reloaded them with 102 grains of H1000 and set 300 grain Lapua Scenars in the cases.

What was interesting was the difference in bullets, some were flat base some were boat tail and they were of different bullet weights as well.

I had bought them at Cabelas and went round and round with both Cabelas and Privi's North American distributor and they actually (Privi NA) refunded me what I paid for them, even though they did not want them back (I was willing to send them to them. no issue with me).

I've since used the brass and fired it and reloaded it again with no issues. Kind of surprised as to the inconsistency. Glad I pulled them. 338 Factory rounds aren't a cheap date no matter where you get them.

My experience with Privi-Partisan.

Yours may be different. I do know one thing and that is, I'll never buy factory loads from them, but then I always prefer to roll my own anyway. I was in a position where I didn't have the die sets to make my own. I do now.

I read somewhere a while ago that Privi Brass was actually Norma Brass but if that is a fact or not, don't have a clue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don’t see any difference in hardly any 38 spl. Brass even military. haven’t sorted 38 brass in over 40 years. My Dillon eats the all. 9mm is a different story. I have started pulling all military out and trashing it. Mainly priming problems and it’s not worth the hassle. Luckily I found a supplier that delivers 5k brass 9mm cases to me for .03 each and I’d the cleanest and shiniest I’ve ever seen. Almost no military mixed in. I’m too lazy to pick up brass when I can buy it for .03.

·
Banned
16,608 Posts
For handgun cases, I only load Starline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts