Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold a couple of guns I didn't want anymore (Henry Survival .22 and a Kel-Tec P11) and turned them into a second generation Glock 17.

Had enough left over to buy a cheap box of 9mm to do some test shooting.

Soon as the Fawn Butt Gun Range and Blues Emporium dries up a bit, I will post a range report... :D

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I predict you'll be a happy guy....

Say hello to Fawn's Butt for me..... :p

Su Hermano,

Drew

·
Registered
828 Posts
You're going to like it. G17s are the Energizer Bunny of the autoloader world. Eventually it will become so boring and predictable that you'll have to try a different Glock. :)

David

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's raining hard here today (yippee, we are having a major drought) so I won't get to shoot the thing.

The Glock is an ugly bastid, but boringly reliable is exactly what I want in a self defense pistol.

On this rainy day I'm studying about +P 9mm rounds and hoping to find something that has about the stopping power of, say, a .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Wish me luck...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drew,

Thanks. I've been looking over a bunch of info like that. There is a lot of confusion and conflicting information for a guy (me) who is not very well schooled on ballistics and such.

One consistent is to be the .357, which seems to have one shot stops in the mid to high 90 percents by most accounts.

I have concluded that what I really want is a M13 that holds 17 rounds, and weighs about 20 ounces. I have studied the .357 sig a little and decided that it is not for me due to ammo availability and cost...

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Alphonso,

I understand that the Texas DPS really loves their .357 SIGs.... they field a mixed bag of guns including Glocks and SIGs and the old guys like them as well as the youn-sters. Ammo shouldn't be too much of a problem in your part of the world.... in fact, one school of thought is that there is likely to be some around given that there is less competion for it as it is not in so much demand....

With regard to 9mm x 19 loadings, I am seeing something kind of interesting.... pals of mine in the Federal Service (ICE/US Customs/DHS) are returning to the 9. These are gun-guys that know what they are doing and in the past had pushed for .40 & .45 autopistols. The reason for this is not only the reliability of the issue Glock 19 Platform, but also the field performance of the Speer Gold Dot round. It is developing the reputation of being near-perfect in all applications with the exception of bad guys wearing body armor. To compensate for that possibility they practice the "DRN"-drill... two quick shots to the center of mass then one to the head. The recovery speed of the Glock and the light recoil of the 9 x 19 makes this much easier.

Drew

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
Interesting post, Drew..

I keep hearing good things about 9mm from my LEO friends too, but I've ignored it since I dismissed the 9 a long time ago as not strong enough.

Maybe I shouldn't have done that..

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Never owned a GLOCK, have no desire to. Sure sounds like fun, though. I wish you well and lots of fun with your new gun.

I don't know, Drew. I'm not sure I care to know how those fine, upstanding, law enforcement types are training to kill "Right-Wing Domestic Terrorists." Then again, maybe I should.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
typing with one hand. excuse poor punctuation.

promised range report. g17 is ugly as sin--shoots like a dream.

plus, it will get through metal dectors--- :eek:

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
23 years ago when the Glocks first made an appearance in my neck of the woods I felt that way too.

....Ugly, plastic, probably a POS.

Then I shot a buddies gun and got hooked on these warthogs. I've owned just about every model and caliber they make, but always gravitate back to the Glock 19.

As far as I'm concerned it has the best balance of size, weight, ammo capacity, & concealability of anything on the market, and handles great to boot.

It you don't mind a little longer slide and grip (and extra capacity) the Glock 17 is the way to go.

Gun Writer & Trainer Chuck Taylor has one that has gone through nearly 500,000 rounds of ammo without a hitch. He's replaced the front sight which got worn off from holster draws and that's about it.

Good luck and good shooting with yours! ;)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A week or so back I called Glock to see if the new style "captured" recoil spring would fit in my old 1990 model which has an un captured spring. I figured a new spring would be a good idea after all these years.

Lo and behold, my Gen 2 G17 had a safety recall. They told me to ship it back, which I have done, and that they would do the recall, replace the spring, and change out any other worn parts--all for free. I'm expecting (hoping, really) to get a refurbished gun back.

Now THAT'S customer service. This gun is almost 20 years old...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
Never owned a GLOCK, have no desire to. Sure sounds like fun, though. I wish you well and lots of fun with your new gun.

I don't know, Drew. I'm not sure I care to know how those fine, upstanding, law enforcement types are training to kill "Right-Wing Domestic Terrorists." Then again, maybe I should.
I never even held a Glock till a few weeks ago. I was shooting my S&W .357 8 shot snubbie and a guy net to me shooting a Glock (I think it was a 40 cal)
asked to see the S&W. I let him shoot mine and he let me shoot the Glock. The gun was OK but the Glock 2 stage trigger just did not feel right. He said you get used to it and is probably right it just didn't feel right to me.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote="silvercorvette... The gun was OK but the trigger just did not feel right. He said you get used to it and is probably right it just didn't feel right to me.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that, I've always felt that way about Thompsons...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know I'm beating this thread to death but I just gotta share one more thing.

I sent my 19 year-old second-hand G17 to Glock on April 24. It came back today (only 11 days later) completely rebuilt. The Slide, frame, and barrel are the only non new parts. Total refurb for free.

Plus, they threw in two new high cap mags and a really cool (used) factory case dated 1987. I didn't have a case.

I'm starting to like these guys...

·
Registered
288 Posts
>Drew wrote: I understand that the Texas DPS really loves their .357 SIGs.... they field a mixed bag of guns including Glocks and SIGs and the old guys like them as well as the youn-sters.<

DPS only fields the 226, no Glocks. I personally don't like the DAK or .357 SIG round, but they didn't ask me. I was much happier with my M28 Smith w/ 4 speed loaders on my belt. When they took that away from us we had a choice of SIG 9mm or 220 .45. I opted for the 220 and had no complaints. Then they scrapped those in favor of the 226 DAK .357 SIG. There we stand.

>Q.C. wrote: I don't know, Drew. I'm not sure I care to know how those fine, upstanding, law enforcement types are training to kill "Right-Wing Domestic Terrorists." Then again, maybe I should.<

Just duck real low till you hear 3 pops then go ahead. ;)

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
If you wanna see first class customer service in action drop by the Glock factory in the Atlanta suburb of Smyrna GA...and bring your Glock with you.

Their "factory" is not what you'd expect. It's located in a business office complex that looks more like a doctor's or denist office instead of a "gun business".

The last time I was in that area on business I brought my Glock 30. Their customer service folks were kind and courtious. The service rep gave me coffee and BS'ed about guns and law enforcement with me while the service tech took my gun "in back" to completely strip, clean and tweek it (including reforming all the mags) at Zero cost to me. weiweinp

Glock
6000 Highland Pkwy S.E.
Smyrna GA 30082
(770) 432-1202

1 - 17 of 17 Posts