Later, Mark

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Hey Skwirl,

Dang it boy!

You hit it out of the park!! npihanpklgasilBRVOldodk4

Fine looking Hogues. Great K 38 "Family"!

The Hogues look swell on the M 29!

Life is good!

Help? Ya'll don't need no help...........the rest of us iz slackin'!! :eek:

(warned you about the K 38's) :D

Later, Mark
Yeah, WOW!!

Thanks Mark. Now I know I'm fine.
You may need help, lol.

That 1050 is impressive you have.
I've thought about "upgrading" to a 650. But I'm not in a hurry when reloading.
Plus my SDB does a wonderful job. Powder charge never varies more than .1 on the scale. When I say never, I mean never.
Here's some new 44 rounds I put together this past weekend. Their test mules for hunting season this year. Their based on the great info I got on this forum.
20180417_190317.jpg

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Go Blue!

Yeah, WOW!!

Thanks Mark. Now I know I'm fine.
You may need help, lol.

That 1050 is impressive you have.
I've thought about "upgrading" to a 650. But I'm not in a hurry when reloading.
Plus my SDB does a wonderful job. Powder charge never varies more than .1 on the scale. When I say never, I mean never.
Here's some new 44 rounds I put together this past weekend. Their test mules for hunting season this year. Their based on the great info I got on this forum.
View attachment 296514
Hey S,

Thank you for the kind words.

I confess. I am a "range bum"....(will shoot from dawn to dusk........if you let me) LOL

The SDB will make great ammo. The Dillon Powder Measure is great.

I'm thinking that 21.5 to 22.5gr H 110 with a 240gr JHP... (this is from memory), performed real well for me. Mostly shoot a 240LSWC with 7.5gr Universal Clays, now.

See if I got another pic...??

There are a bunch of "Enablers" on.....been giving away "Enabler Stars"........like they going out of style. :D

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hey Skwirl,

Speaking of history...
The gun was bought September 25, 1961. By a man named John.
He bought the gun, a holster and a box of ammo.
Holster- 3.95$
Ammo- 4.80$
K38- 81.00$
Total with tax- 92.45$
Married with two year old child and working for a newspaper in 1961 and that would have been two weeks pay for me ...$47 a week. That same year I bought my first "new" car, 1961 Chevrolet Biscayne, new off the showroom floor for $1800...and struggled, with my $58 a month mortgage, to make the payments. I think they still cost about two weeks pay, don't they? It's all relative.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The enablers on here are a bad influence.

Yup, picked up another today.
A m25-2 in 45 acp. It's used and a shooter.
So that's what I'm going to do, shoot it. A lot.
Started cleaning it tonight. I'll finish it up tomorrow.
Now I need another set of Hogue wood stocks. I'm really liking those things.
Anywho, here's a pic,
20180424_173525.jpg

Looks like I need a new family pic to.
Its grown.
These things are like rabbits, lol.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The model 14 rabbits have produced another.

Yup, picked up another.
A model 14-2. It appears to be an excellent gun.
There's a very light turn line on the cylinder and that's it. I cleaned it this afternoon, didnt find a hint of gunpowder. All I found was a brown thick type of grease. Its amazingly tight for fuction. The blueing and polishing is like a black mirror.
Anywho, here's a pic,
20180508_175930.jpg

Here's the model 14 family.
20180508_180352.jpg

There's still a few I'd like to add to this family.
So, next week the grand daddy gets added.
A pre model 14 from 1948 with its gold box. I'm more than excited to be a caretaker for a while.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I picked up my K38 Masterpiece this week. It's not in great condition, but there's no rust. I think it's a decent example and a fine addition for me.
20180519_200609.jpg
20180519_200717.jpg

A few things I noticed on this older model, that I like.
First, the pin thru the frame for the stocks is actually a steel pin, not a roll pin. I like that type of stuff.
20180519_194946.jpg

The other item I really like is the way the & mark is done on the barrel. More of a script. A small detail, but 1 I like.
20180519_193957.jpg

The serial numbers all match, frame, barrel, cylinder and stocks.
Overall I'm happy with her and I'll enjoy shooting her as well. With some luck, I'll be able to shoot her when she turns 100 years old.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Hey Skwirl,

You Sir! You are on a ROLL!

Fine M 25-2 and a pair of K 38's!! (one of which is a short action 5 screw)!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks Mark. I have a long list to acquire yet. I've found I like the older models the best.
It maybe a false assumption on my part, but I feel the older models are made with more attention to detail.

Next week I'll pick up another m25-2 with an S serial number prefix. Should be an excellent example.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
My new to me model 25-2.
I posted a pic in another thread with the gummed and slight rust on the internals. After a few hours yesterday and soaking all night. Then a few hours today, she is mostly back together. The action works very well now.
Still got more scrubbing and polishing to do, but I think she is going to come around to my way of thinking.
20180530_161254.jpg

She's not perfect, there's some blueing wear and a few scratches here and there. But I figure after 55 or 56 years we all got some wear marks.
Shell be a fine shooter.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Hey Skwirl,

Very nice!

How did you like the "soak job"?

Used to fool with Mil/Surp. First thing on a "new" rifle. Remove wood. Remove Bolt. Put bung in barrel, fill with ATF. On a "bad case".....had a piece of 4" PVC with a cap glued on one end....put rifle in pipe. Muzzle up (bung in breech if needed). Fill with ATF.

Let soak for a month. Makes clean up a Breeze.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Oh yeah, the soaking worked very well. All though boring, but very good results.
I need the book from kuhnhassen, I think is the name I've read several times. Then a test mule for some polishing, after I get a better understanding of the parts work with each other.

I've polished up my flinters locks already. A little shine here and there makes a world of difference on them.

Right now, I'm just happy this model 25 cycles nice and smooth now.
Tomorrow I'll measure both guns against the info you provided.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Hey Skwirl,

You do realize.............you have TEN PAGES of ENABLING on this thread?

And have increased your STABLE from 2............to...?? :D

You will need two stones. A HARD one and a MEDIUM....use PLENTY of OIL when stoning. Some is good.....A WHOLE BLAME LOT is MUCH BETTER!

You will polish (with hard stone) the bearing surfaces of the hammer & trigger them selves and on the frame & sideplate. A LITTLE BIT goes A LONG WAY.

You will also (with hard stone) polish the rebound slide. (get a "fob" to polish the ID of the rebound slide).

With the medium stone (also DROWNED in OIL) you will polish the main spring. ONE DIRECTION ONLY. Grasp spring by the stirrup and "drag" it towards you, all FOUR sides....about 200 strokes each side. This will impart an "eddy current" in the main spring, allowing it to "flex" along the whole length...not just "kink" in spots.

Dang! Book is now $35! https://www.midwayusa.com/product/698010/the-s-and-w-revolver-a-shop-manual-5th-edition-book-by-jerry-kuhnhausen

Cheap at double the price!

Keep up the good work!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Hey Skwirl,

You will want one of these...

Don't know if Midway has them? Brownell's does.

I made mine from a 3/16" weld rod...pretty simple...

Later, Mark

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Hey Skwirl,

You will want one of these...

Don't know if Midway has them? Brownell's does.

I made mine from a 3/16" weld rod...pretty simple...

Later, Mark
The rebound spring is a pain, but doable without the tool. I'll be getting that book and some reading. I dont need perfection, just smoooooth.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts