·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I got the link for the historical letter also. I'm going to send for that after I receive the gun and verify the numbers. I know my gun is not a collector type, I'm just wanting to know. I enjoy history.
So today when I got home I dug out my old 44 mag stuff. Yeah, I'm a little excited. I found about 280 rounds I loaded years ago. The bad news is there hard lead bullets. I'm not sure I want to run them thru this gun, cause their lead.
So, what you say all?
I'll get some jacketed bullets if it would be better and load them up.

Mounted my press up tonight to. Did I mention my excitement, lol. I need to clean the dies up tomorrow and adjust them. Then I'm good to start over again.

Any suggestions for jacketed bullet for practice would be welcome. My local guy doesn't carry much reloading stuff anymore.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Arrived today!

Picked my revolver today. It's a nice gun.
Overall, I'd say better than average. Got it home and polished her up.
I'm going to try and post a pic of my m29-3.
20180322_164019.jpg
20180322_164153.jpg

After cleaning it, I think the grips are replacements.
Maybe it's my lack of knowledge. But they don't seem to fit that well. They are a few steps behind the rest of the gun. Of course this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I spent a little time reading the s&w 4th edition. A lot of great info in there.
The question I have is for the serial number of the gun I just received.
It's a 29-3 with the letters AEY.
Those letters aren't in the 4th edition.
Would someone have an idea what year it corresponds to?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I collect mostly top breaks, but I hear people talk about the dreaded 3 letter numbers. If they are in order may be late 1984? Welcome to the forum neighbor.

·
Premium Member
18,266 Posts
You sorta have to interpolate the 3 alpha serials. Since AEW is in 1985 and the sequence shifts to AF? that year, I'd say 1985. Whether that is right or not, only S&W Customer Service or an historian's letter will confirm.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks WGG.
That's what confused me, but I thought the same.
The book did state that listing for letter was only what had been identified so far.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts