Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished cleaning a 44 special hand-ejector 2nd model with a 6.5 inch barrel. Does anyone have some advice on a safe round I can use with it. Only thing I can find at the moment is hornady 165g ballistic tips. Will these be ok or should I go with a lighter load. The piece is in good mechanical condition. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Is the box labeled with any warnings about "only for use in modern guns," or any other terms that would suggest high-pressure loads? Any company which loads to above-average pressures without such warnings is asking for a liability law-suit.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
23A05596-DC76-4394-AADB-B305D28938DD.jpeg

These are all I could get my hands on fellas. And yes it broke my heart to pay a buck fifty per cartridge just to pop a few off out of something I worked hard on but I can’t wait any longer! If you guys don’t think these are safe, then I certainly will not use them. But I figure 165 grain won’t be too bad on it. Bore and cylinder are in good condition. No obstructions, dings, etc.... on another note delcrossv and adirondacker my grandfather has a 1914 Luger 9mm in the original holster with extra magazine pouch that I’m going to clean up for him if y’all are interested to see I can shoot you some pictures. Haven’t researched much on it but very cool and very old gun. Was found in the marsh here in Charleston. Unfortunately re finished in nickel on the base, but still very cool

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
900 FPS does not suggest excessive pressure, considering such a light weight bullet; in fact, I find listings for much heavier bullets at that speed or greater. No telling how such low bullet weight may affect where the bullet strikes, but you can't expect much precision from fixed sights anyway, esp. with the "pinched" rear notch on this gun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
900 FPS does not suggest excessive pressure, considering such a light weight bullet; in fact, I find listings for much heavier bullets at that speed or greater. No telling how such low bullet weight may affect where the bullet strikes, but you can't expect much precision from fixed sights anyway, esp. with the "pinched" rear notch on this gun.
So I’m GTG? I’ll probably shoot six and it’ll go back to my grandfather for a little while. When I get it back it will probably be a home defense gun so not worried about accuracy. Just wanna hear it go bang a few times then hopefully won’t need to fire it when it goes in the night stand. And

1 - 7 of 7 Posts