Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than wiping a protective coat of oil on my carbon steel blades and saddle soap on the leather, I let my knives age gracefully. The brass turns dark as does the nickel silver unless it's used or pocketed frequently. I have my favorites and can't use them all. A couple will never be used by me.

When I see old custom knives for sale in shops or at shows, they are usually all shiny and buffed with Flitz or some other product.

How should custom collector knives be kept? Pristine and un-messed-with or polished and shined up like new? An old firearm with an untouched but cared-for finish is worth far more than one that has been polished up and buffed. What about knives?

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Knife collectors are pretty much like the gun guys. If it's a user blade, leave it alone...and it won't effect the value all that much. Unless they are reground, or seriously abraded....they tend to hold their value. Example, sending a well used but not abused Randall back to the shop for a sharpening and rebuff will generally not gain you any value....you'd most likely be out a few dollars ;)

giz

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I have this Gerber Buck knife that the brass is starting to turn green in spots.

How would I clean this up again. I guess it turned green from sitting in the leather sheath?

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
If the brass is not lacquered, I'd get some NeverDull and test it on it...

giz

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
Hey Giz, I've got a few old knives with carbon steel blades. An Imperial fixed skinner blade with a beautiful Stag handle, an old Sears &Roebuck Barlow 2 blade jackknife (I use this one alot when hunting and fishing.), and a Boker 2 blade jacknife. I keep them sharp, but the blades have turned a dull black and silver color. Is there anything that I can do to restore them to the bright shiny silver, or ....should I leave them as is??? I have some Mother's Chrome Polish to use on the S&W's.....if I ever get arlound to it!!!! :lol:

I like folding knives....jacknives, loc-back, Swiss Army knives,... that are easy to carry in a pocket or on a belt sheath. I like the Imperial fixed blade, but it looks intimidating hanging on your belt....(4 1/2" blade) :eek: I'm not a collecter....of guns or knives. I just like them, and accumilate a few. I buy them to use....but in reality, I stick with my old favorite Sears Barlow. It does the job...no need for anything else!!!
;) Bob

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
Jim, I just tried Mother's Chrome Polish on a few blades. It makes 'em look a little better...but not much. :( I guess that years of neglect has come back to haunt me. The Imperial fixed blade has dull spots and little pits, from leaving it in the sheath for many years. I guess it was too much to ask.....to restore them back to new!!!! :shock: Bob

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have several carbon steel knives, and the steel will age using it or not, and regardless of what you put on the blades to protect them, its just the nature of carbon steel. Not talking about rust, but the patina that will show after a few years. Wiping them down with oil or wax will slow the progress, but eventually they will start to mottle.

Leighton

G

·
0 Posts
Not sure of this, but from conversations with tradionalists...aged steel is not an issue. User knives are not a big deal, either. Kinda like the safe queen vs shooter argument in handguns. We all want shooters, but wish they would always stay safe queens. Hard to have your cake and eat it. Give me a good knife in excellent usable conditon ~ and I'll be glad to have it for it's intended use...

To protect, use a dose of common sense and keep it well oiled and honed. Keep the leather conditioned as well...

What more could you ask of a edged tool?

giz

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
Unlike all my S&W's, I rarely use most of the knives. They tend to sit in a draw. I guess they develop a natural patina with age. I use the old Sears&Roebuck Barlow for a hunting and fishing knife. I probably paid $2 for it, in the late 50's. I can't seem to lose that knife!!! I have lost more expensive knives, on a regular basis. I have left many of them behind, after cleaning trout at streamside. :eek: Bob

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Here are the two knives that are always on me. The VSAK is 35yrs old, and the Cold Steel Medium Voyager is working on 20yrs. I wouldn't know what to do without either.

This is my Dad's old pocket knife. I gave him a Puma Senior about 20yrs ago, and he gave me this. I have fond memories of this blade. Its the one I used to cut my switch with. Plus I never saw my dad without it. You can see the darkening of the blades. They have been oiled, cleaned, sharpened, and used for everything under the sun. Still sharp as a razor, and kept oiled, never to draw a stroke again. This will go to my son one day, along with mine. This knife is over 45yrs of age.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That very same "Swiss Army" pattern got my daughter in deep #$%& when she was in HS many years ago! I had given it to her when she was in the 9th grade, and she kept it safely tucked away in her purse in case it might be needed. Several years later, she pulled it out in art class to cut up some cardboard or something - and got sent to the principal's office where the threat of suspension was levied against her for carrying a "weapon". The office bureaucrats were terribly miffed that I didn't comprehend the seriousness of the situation. :lol: As it happened, that gig probably knocked her out of the running for a particular college scholarship she was trying for.

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
XTM, My son and daughter both have the same VSAK as mine, but with the understanding that they are not to be carried at school. My daughter keeps her's in her room, and only carries it when we go out in the woods. My son the moment he gets home throws his in his pocket, even if he never leaves the house the rest of the day, and he also has started collecting knives. He only has five right now, but his friends are amazed when he shows them off, and when he ask's me if he can show his guns too. He has his own 10/22 and a MKII Govt. model.

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
I had a Shrade 3 blade Old Timer, like the one above....once. Sadly......I lost it, or left it on a river bank, after cleanning a couple of trout. Went back, next day......but never did see that knife again. That's why I use my Sears Roebuck Barlow knife for just about everything. Works just fine. ;) Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
Speaking of "MISPLACING"knives...knew of a hunter who misplaced his Randall.He really loved that knife,got a deer,man was he excited,dressed the deer out ,really happy all the way back to camp.When he got back...it dawned on him, that he left his Randall sticking in a tree!Next day went back to get it....never did find where they dressed it out.....somewhere someone will find a nice Randall! LOL!
JIM

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
Do you have a location......on exactly where the deer was dressed out, Jim??? nfiofnp Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sigh....Bob...why?? :mrgreen: You have ALL the knives & guns you will ever need! :lol: Besides...not telling you is saving you from miles of hiking,being eaten by big bad bears...AND....frustration!
Jim

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
Boy.....ya' can't say nothin' around here........or it comes back to haunt you forever!!! :roll: :lol: Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts