Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.
I picked this little gem up a while ago, the guy I purchased it from did a lot of research into it, but wasn't sure on everything.
He's pretty sure it was made in 1915 and sent to either Britain or Canada for WW-1.
Then returned to S&W for refinish and rechambered to 45 colt (not ACP) in 1920.

It's in beautiful shape for it's age.

...And of course I didn't take pictures of the gun. :rolleyes: (I'll get them posted soon.) But here are the markings. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Plastic Metal Toy
Green Teal Bicycle accessory Tile Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It's not a 1917. They look similar, but the 1917 is chambered for .45 ACP and is an entirely different gun. It is officially known as the .455 Hand Ejector, Mark II, British Service Revolver. Unfortunately, without pictures of the serial number on the butt and of the left side frame, we cannot confirm its production year or whether it went back to S&W for work.

The stamps you show in your second picture are the British broad arrow indicating the gun was released from military service, the crown over E is the Enfield inspection, and the II indicates is the 2nd model .455 BSR. The first model was the .455 triple lock of which only around 5000 were made.

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,071 Posts
conversion of the surplus .455 revolvers was a relatively common commercial occurrence - more often 45acp, but 45 colt are not uncommon.
Best conversion is the 45 colt that still lets you chamber and shoot the original 455. Unlikely it was done by S&W however..

Gun Firearm Trigger Black Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
Okay. Yes, the stamp is the S&W stamp for Refinish-Standard which is a low polish finish. I don't see a date on the left frame toe. S&W quit doing that around 1980 so it could have been done then or somewhat later. That style of stamp was not used until well after WWII. So, that blows the 1920 guesstimate. I agree with Mark that it was not converted to .45 Colt by S&W. I would need to see a picture of the chambers to confirm. S&W would not have reamed them or shaved the face of the cylinder. Most likely, they would just replace the cylinder with a .45 Colt model.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
conversion of the surplus .455 revolvers was a relatively common commercial occurrence - more often 45acp, but 45 colt are not uncommon.
Best conversion is the 45 colt that still lets you chamber and shoot the original 455. Unlikely it was done by S&W however..

View attachment 490158
Mark is correct but a molested gun may need some work with a "Dremmel tool" with a Moon clip for the .455 to work. in it ..I have an un molested .455 in Colt "New Service" that round can be watched like a Juggernaut going down range ...:) congrats and enjoy it mate..

thewelshm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.