Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Kynoch-ICI promoting deer hunting with their .22 ammo?

Check out this old box of ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) .22LR solids!

A similar box is pictured in an auction for this 1948 Eley/ Kynoch-ICI catalog:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =136556374

There is no mention of deer hunting, but the small print on the side of the box says, "They are specially recommended for small game shooting at ranges from 75 to 200 yards....." Exaggerated claims?

xtm

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Well, there have been an awful lot of deer taken in this country with 22LR. None of them legel, of course.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forester said:
Well, there have been an awful lot of deer taken in this country with 22LR. None of them legel, of course.
That's what I was thinking......but I had never actually seen it advertised by an ammo maker before. :?

xtm

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Once upon a time, 100 years or more ago, deer hunting wasn't anywhere near as regulated as it is today. Back then, it was fairly common for back woods sorts to hunt deer with the .22LR. Especially here in the northeast USA. They generally weren't dumb men, and they shot only at the head/brain. They aimed for the ear, and most especially the eye. No meat damage, dropped them right where they stood. About as cost effective as it can get too.
It is only with the last couple of generations of us that deer hunting with the .22LR has become synonamous with outlaw activity.
Just to set the record straight!

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Geoff, that was back when 'tactical' was an adverb and not an adjective
When +P ment he was full of 'p*** and vinegar,,,, OK, that one pretty much means the same thing

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Another thing is that European Deer are considerably smaller than American Deer.... Perhaps this ammo was intended for some Scotish Moor or Marsh Warden.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about some of those tiny African plains antelope, but those things are really tough. Besides, I bought it years ago in a flea market on the Blackfeet Reservation in southern Alberta - probably handed out by the Dominion to shoot whatever presented itself... :|

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
xtimberman said:
I was thinking about some of those tiny African plains antelope, but those things are really tough. Besides, I bought it years ago in a flea market on the Blackfeet Reservation in southern Alberta - probably handed out by the Dominion to shoot whatever presented itself... :|

xtm
.... As long as it wasn't RCMP...

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I seem to remember reading something, long ago, told by Skeeter Skelton, about using a K22 for deer hunting. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yeah, well, it's been many moons since I poached game for food. A .22 Short in a long barreled single shot rifle makes very little noise and when properly placed will bring down a four point buck.

I know for certain the game warden knew all about me and Grandpa, but he knew it was to feed the family. He wasn't nearly as blind as he pretended to be. kfjdrfirii

1 - 14 of 14 Posts