Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a few more mags for my S&W 4516-2 and the cheapest I've found smith mags is $33 on midway i found Promags online for $20.
has anyone used them? Are they any good or a waste of money?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I've used Pro Mags In a P-14, a Walther P-38, and a Ruger Ranch Rifle without any problems. I say buy from the company direct and try them out. If they fail to function properly I believe they have a lifetime warranty. I say this because a friend once bought a used Pro Mag and it failed to function properly. He called & sent it back to the company, (around L.A. ?), and they replaced it free with a brand new magazine.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Junk. 50/50 that they will work right out the box and if they do don't expect it to last long. Spend the extra $13 for the real deal. The only aftermarket mags worth it are MacGarr

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haven't ever tried them myself but I've read enough negative comments about them to steer clear. MecGar is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Some people have good luck with them but a magazine is not something I care to take a risk on.

·
Super Moderator
19,409 Posts
MecGar doesn't list a mag for the 4516 pistols.
Promags price is $35 on their website. Smith & Wesson (2) - ProMag Industries
Midway has OEM mags for $35 each. Smith & Wesson Mag S&W 457 457D 457S 4513TSW 4516 4536 4553TSW 4556

I have 2 Promag magazines for my Bersa 380, and the mag that came with my brand new Tisas 1911 is Promag. I've used them all and to date I don't recall any malfunctions.. It's a 50/50 grab with any mag you buy, OEM or not. I still recommend buying OEM whenever you can.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have maybe 12 from ProMag, and all but one functioned perfectly. The one bad apple had a weak spring, but they refunded my $ no questions asked. As GC said, OEM is the way to go, except for 1911s, then I always buy Wilson Combats. Good luck bro, Mike.

·
Banned
732 Posts
As GC said, OEM is the way to go, except for 1911s, then I always buy Wilson Combats.
Yep, especially with Smith & Wesson. 1911's are notorious for being persnickety about magazines regardless of who built the gun. Aftermarket for 1911's such as Chip McCormick, Wilson and Tripp are much much better but still need to be tested long term in 19911's as there is not a 100% guarantee they'll perfectly reliable. For used OEM mags, there are always the classifieds here and especially on the Big Blue Smith-Wesson Forum.

Bruce

·
Registered
297 Posts
the pro mag I bought for my lc9 is loading the rounds nose down is that due to weak spring? I haven't have the best of luck with them so far the mags for my 10/22 also miss feed more then id like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts