Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many here reload on progressive presses. I personally have a Hornady LNL .wouldn't mind the new RCBS. So as I post this the Dillon crowd will be out :) but anyway see link below for an unbiased review, either way respect to all that reload particularly in this market. Let the bitchin begin :)

What’s the Deal (comrace.ca)

thewelshm

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
I HAD a Dillon, I now have a LnL; too many primer feed issues with the Dillon. For shotshell, I really like the RCBS Grand but for initial cost, it's hard to beat the MEC Grabber

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
I abandoned an older RCBS progressive press that my cousin sold me years ago for a new Hornady Lock-N-Load about 5 years ago, and I'll never go back.

The LNL is a superior and flexible press... The collett system for mounting dies is convenient and relatively inexpensive. I just leave die sets in the collett mounts.

I doubt that I'd want any more "automation" on my press than I currently use (a finished cartridge counter). The primer feed is reliable when kept clean and properly adjusted, and the advance to positions is solid...

My favorite dies are from Lyman.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
When I got into reloading back in 2014, I spent a good bit of time, probably 3 or 4 months reading about reloading and watching You Tube videos of various presses in operation. I pretty much determined right off that I wouldnt be happy with a single stage press. I also did not want to spend a bundle as money is always tight and I didnt know if I would really like reloading. I found it hard to beat the Lee classic turret press kit. It had everything needed to get started ( except dies) and was $198.00. It is the only press I have used so I have nothing to compare it with, but over all I have been very satisfied. I can easily do 100 rounds in an hour, from getting everything out, to having it all put back and the loads logged and labeled.
From a beginner point of view the turret press (by any company) is good because there is only 1 operation going on at a time so I could see and learn what was happening at each stage. At somewhere around 30,000 rounds now on my press and it still works fine

·
Registered
19,469 Posts
I don't load for speed, Ioad 100% for accuracy and consistent powder charges so I'll never have anything but a single stage and don't want anything else.

I have a Rockchucker and a Redding T8 Turret press. I hand prime off press with a micrometer primer setting tool or an RCBS hand primer and I use custom made John Whidden bushing dies or Redding bushing dies only.

I use busing dies to control neck tension and of course I anneal my cases after every firing (pistol cases as well if the crimp is heavy, keeps them from neck cracking. I se an Annealeze.

I Use a Harrell Culver powder measure and and an Ohaus triple beam powder scale with a custom built powder trickler that has an adjustable electric eye the controls a cell phone vibrator unit that shakes a small plastic powder cup and feed tube. It's final charges very consistently within 1/10 of a grain all the time. Set mu culver measure to throw under at 1/2 grain and let the trickler finalize the charge

All my cases get tumbled in STS, no exceptions.

I'm picky, very picky but then I'm loading for downrange accuracy, mostly bottleneck case, not straightwall and I totally ignore SAMMI loading specs as well as overall cartridge length. Set mine for accuracy and dial my charges by how the cartridge shoots and I always check for brass wipe and hard ejection.

How I roll. No progressive stuff here, never will be.

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
I don't load for speed, Ioad 100% for accuracy and consistent powder charges so I'll never have anything but a single stage and don't want anything else.
When I shot and loaded more for my hunting rifles, all I used was a single stage; but for shotshell and handgun where volume is necessary, a progressive lessens the number of pull strokes on my shoulder which is always nice

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
I keep a Lyman single stage press at the other end of the reloading table. You always need one for something, even if it's not your primary press...

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep a Lyman single stage press at the other end of the reloading table. You always need one for something, even if it's not your primary press...
Yep I have RCBS jr3 to do my 500 ammo and my 455. Love the old school too

Thewelshm

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
I spent over 30 years loading on my RCBS Jr - everything from 32ACP to 7mm mag; shotshells saw many thousands loded on MEC Jrs before progressives

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Blue....

Attachments

Reactions: jpfrog and jeepnut

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
This ammo was loaded on the 550...

I don't know...??

No where near as good as that single stage, I guess...

Attachments

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
Were all those extra bullet holes just for sighting in?:LOL:

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
This was shot, SINGLE LOADING the M-1 at 250 yds....off the bags...(it was still too muddy to lay down & sling up)

The ammo? Pulled 147gr pills. Surplus powder. Mil Surp brass.

Loaded? On the 550! (400rds/hr):LOL:

No where near as accurate as some fancy bolt gun, with a million dollar glass on it. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Progressives save time. But there are things about them that I don't like. First, there is no opportunity to clean primer pockets. Second, there is no opportunity to do a batch inspection of powder level. Third, I don't like using primer tubes. I understand the Lee doesn't use one, but I have a Dillon and it does. I'm not really that interested in saving time anymore; I've got plenty of it. But I really like seeing 50 charged cases in a block and being able to look at the powder level in each one and compare it to the others.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Progressives save time. But there are things about them that I don't like. First, there is no opportunity to clean primer pockets. Second, there is no opportunity to do a batch inspection of powder level. Third, I don't like using primer tubes. I understand the Lee doesn't use one, but I have a Dillon and it does. I'm not really that interested in saving time anymore; I've got plenty of it. But I really like seeing 50 charged cases in a block and being able to look at the powder level in each one and compare it to the others.
I can see into the case on each round as I load it on my Lee Turret press. I bought some LED's to light things up in there better

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
This ammo was loaded on the 550...

I don't know...??

No where near as good as that single stage, I guess...
The "force" you is with!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
I can see into the case on each round as I load it on my Lee Turret press. I bought some LED's to light things up in there better
Here's a video of my light and counter in use:

·
Registered
21,533 Posts
I use a DIllon on a lot of my handgun rounds. As mentioned, it does minimize my motions. No case feeder or bullet feeder. Speed is just fine for me. I also have the Hornady LNL Classic single stage for rifle loads. Can do 45 ACP and 45 Colt on the Hornady. So can minimize some changing around. Was a little more money but did get the extra tool holders which does facilitate the caliber changing. Article is right about Dillon parts and service. If I have a part that wears out, just call and it is in the mail.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can see into the case when it's on my Dillon, too. But I can only see one charged case at a time and can't compare the level of powder to any other charged case.

I've had one BIG BANG with ammo loaded on the Dillon. Luckily, it was in a Redhawk but was supposed to be a mild load of WW231. Had to drive that case out of the cylinder with a hammer and punch. I disassembled all the rest of that batch, expecting find one case with no powder, but did not. They all had powder. So what happened was never positively solved. When you've got the entire batch of charged cases in a loading block it only takes a couple seconds to see that all have the same level of powder in them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts