Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
I am currently shooting a lot of skeet and reloading 410's....Like everyday!...My skeet field is 100 yards from the front door. Turkey season comes in Sunday. So that will occupy mt time for awhile View attachment 454403 View attachment 454405
Nice bird tosser. I'd be using that for a deer blind in the fall-winter. Good spot for bambi taking. I don't hunt gobblers, all I do is call them in and observe. Ain't much on a wild gobbler worth eating unless you like chewing on shoe leather.:D

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Oh yeah Jonsey, I hear you! Finished up 350+ cast and lubed rifle bullets... rolled into 100 rounds of 45-70 and 40+ rounds of 38-55. I'm now waiting on a .321" sizer die for my Lyman 450 to lube a batch of bullets for my 32-40 rifles and then there's a set of RCBS reloading dies coming in for me to crank out some ammo for my new 257 Roberts. Who needs TP? I 'm gettin' what I needs! :D

John

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Nice bird tosser. I'd be using that for a deer blind in the fall-winter. Good spot for bambi taking. I don't hunt gobblers, all I do is call them in and observe. Ain't much on a wild gobbler worth eating unless you like chewing on shoe leather.:D
The breast from a gobbler is delicious and NOT tough........Cooked many ways. Fantastic in a my smoker.

·
Premium Member
11,437 Posts
I'm on the web alot.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
My PC decided to go haywire last week, so I have spent a lot of time on chores and at the reloading bench. On several trips to the range, I had only shot part of several boxes of rifle ammo for 4 different calibers, so when I finally finished them off, I ended up with 11 boxes of empty brass that needed to be cleaned, trimmed and refilled. Almost caught up, so I hope to dodge the rain and head out tomorrow. Time to go fishing too. Lake is muddy, but it has been for so long the fish should be adjusted and hanging out of cover.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Cast 1,200 Lee 148 gr TL 38 spl wadcutters and lubed. Lubing took 15 minutes with a hot cookie sheet on a hot plate.
I got all the bullets lubed with 3 coats, in 3 batches.
All the TL bullets are loaded with lots of brass still in the bucket. Cast 43# of Lee 200 gr swc for 45 acp, then sized and lubed on Lyman 450 sizer. I will start loading tonight.

Went to the outdoor range on Thursday with S&W M586 with 8-3/8" barrel and dot sight in S&W scope rings. 50 yard target had 90% of the shoots in the black bullseye off a rest. Group was about 5" wide by 10" high. I know why the vertical dispersion: partly the barrel rest, partly my grip, and partly the powder. At 25 yards the group size was 4 holes touching inside the X-ring in a 5/8" diameter hole with 2 more shots in the X-ring. Going to try a different load with slightly heavier powder charge for better 50 yard results.

After 75 rounds fired, 1 pass with a solvent patch left a gleaming shiny NO LEAD barrel. I found a lube that works: 45% Alox, 45% Johnson liquid floor was (no longer on the market), and 10% mineral spirits. Liquid portion evaporates quickly leaving a wax/lube residue behind on the bullet that is not sticky! OH Happy Day!

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been loading 9mm. I loaded 300 rounds using a 124gr FMJ from Rocky Mountain Reloading & 250 with a 145gr Hi-Tek coated RN from Summers Enterprises. That finished off the space in my 9mm ammo can.
I switched out to my 40 dies yesterday and loaded 100 rounds of .40, using a 180gr plated Xtreme bullet and 6gr of CFE Pistol
235144D9-FCEA-4A75-BCE3-A2CF64D220DC.jpeg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Today 150 rds 38 cases with 4.5gr of hp38 topped with a green coated 158gr LSWC from DG bullets

And 50 rds using 3.5 grains for the wife to run through her new m206.

Tomorrow some 10mm and I may load up some 9mm which I haven't done in years!

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
I have been loading 9mm. I loaded 300 rounds using a 124gr FMJ from Rocky Mountain Reloading & 250 with a 145gr Hi-Tek coated RN from Summers Enterprises. That finished off the space in my 9mm ammo can.
I switched out to my 40 dies yesterday and loaded 100 rounds of .40, using a 180gr plated Xtreme bullet and 6gr of CFE Pistol
View attachment 465184
is it cost effective to load 9 & 40 mate? They are giving it away...

thewelshm

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is it cost effective to load 9 & 40 mate? They are giving it away...

thewelshm
I bought the 124gr FMJ quite a while back at $70/1000 and the 145gr Hi-Tek coated are about the same price. I can load 9mm for about 11- 12 cents per ound. When I started loading 9mm they ran around 24-25 cents per round at stores. Even now they are only down to around 16 or 17 cents per round and since I have the components on hand its cheaper than buying loaded ammunition.
I load the 40 caliber at about 14-15 cents per round. I dont see 180gr, .40 for under 25 cents. Besides that, I enjoy reloading

1 - 20 of 22 Posts