Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hello all. Just joined your forums but have been looking through them for years as I am an avid S&W fan. But anyways, I just picked up a police trade in 6906 that I was told was rough cosmetically but sound functionally. Well long story short after getting it and realizing that besides being beyond filthy the dang old decocker does not work. It will only sometimes drop the hammer. The block still rotates and slight pressure on the hammer drops it safely. Any ideas? Did someone try to make it so they could carry it cocked and locked and screwed something up? Thanks for any help!

Grant

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Sounds like i have seen this problem before .. The decocker is it Ambidextrous?? If so some one may have installed the decocker with the light spring from the single sided decocker. The Ambi takes a heavier spring. Also the round head plunder in the slide of the decocker lever body may be 1. Broker. 2 Peened off. or 3 completely stuck by gunk..

First Id start with taking some Birch Wood Casey gun scrubben and blasting out the area of the decocker. If that did not work i would replace the spring and decocker plunger..

Lastly manually cock the hammer and see if you can push the fireing pin easily with a punch.. You may have a clogged firing pin channel..

Layne12gun

·
Premium Member
20,705 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! What ^^he said. You could save a few pennies by getting an aerosol can of carb/brake/parts cleaner (spray acetone) instead of the Birchwood Casey stuff. Personally, I'd break it down completely and soak it in mineral spirits or kerosene overnight, then scrub it good. It's probably not had a bath is quite some time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.