Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced a problem with a mushroomed center-pin rod on a 629 with a 3inch barrel deforming? A friend of mine has an older 629 with an un-fluted cylinder and back some time ago had a problem opening the cylinder after firing it. When he took the crane apart he discovered the end of the center-pin rod was mushroomed. He apparently used a stone to remove the mushroom and the cylinder worked fine. Just recently he took the 629 out and now it is almost impossible to open the cylinder again, he suspects the same issue. He has another 629 with about 2000 rounds fired and has never had an issue with it. Any ideas what might be happening?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just throwing a thought out as I'm certainly no gunsmith, but I wonder if the rod was heat treated properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not the center pin. I had the same problem with a 657 Mtn Gun which has plenty of recoil. Sent it back for repair and they replaced the center pin. The mushrooming occurred again within a few rounds. I took a loupe and examined the the front tip of the center pin. It was severely peened around the outer edges where it contacted the spring loaded plunger beneath the front of the barrel. The plunger was mis-shaped where it contacts the center pin in lock up. I removed the plunger and lightly flattened it with a hard India stone. I removed the center pin and lightly sanded the mushrooming away. The plunger was not flat where it contacts the center pin. Problem permanently solved.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents, I'm going to pass this along to my buddie!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts