Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my 1st Revolver... 686-6 with 4" barrel... was going to purchase a Ruger GP100 w/4" but my local gun store only had the S&W 686-6. I love the gun and was glad to get the S&W since my son has the Ruger GP100 6". Every thing I have read on line pretty much compared them as being fairly equal with minimal advantages going to each of them.

I brought mine to the range to sight it in..... I used 130 grain FMJ .38 target loades and 125 grain FMJ .357 loades. Shooting from a bench rest with a sand bag I was shooting 5-1/2" inches high..... groups in the 1" range. The rear sight came adjusted all the way down.... no additional adjustment available. I called S&W and they said send it in to us... They sent me a shipping label etc and said minimum turnaround will be 4 weeks plus.

I still am very glad that I got the S&W..... However I am disappointed to say the least that I am starting out with this issue right up front. Guys at the range assured me that S&W was very good about warranty work and that I will be well satisfied when I get it back. I hope they go thru it stem to stern to insure that it is all to spec.

Most of my shooting will be at the range with my targets at 7-15 yards.... occasionally out to 25 yards. What grain weight bullets do you recommend...?

Thanks for any responses...!

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
The standard for .357 & 38 special would be a 158gr bullet. How are you aligning the sights? The bullseye should sit on top of he front sight.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree with Jonesy .. the 158 grain is my and my guns favorite weight in 357 and 38 but ... I read your post a couple of times and maybe its escaping me but what distance were you shooting at?

5.5 inches is huge at 7-10 yds and couldnt be adressed at that close a distance mearly with sight adjustment IMHO.

I cant see anymore so I dont try and use dots. I line all the tops of the front and back sight and shoot only off hand standing with no support and with every gun I own I can take the center out of the target. I line the tops up and center that on what I am shooting. I think they call it a 6 oclock position but .. I could be wrong .. Its just my prefered way to use sights on hand guns, feels faster and more natural and is easy because I am just using contrast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The standard for .357 & 38 special would be a 158gr bullet. How are you aligning the sights? The bullseye should sit on top of he front sight.
I use the 6 o'clock sight picture with the bullseye sitting on top of the sight..... thanks for your response...;.!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Jonesy .. the 158 grain is my and my guns favorite weight in 357 and 38 but ... I read your post a couple of times and maybe its escaping me but what distance were you shooting at?

5.5 inches is huge at 7-10 yds and couldnt be adressed at that close a distance mearly with sight adjustment IMHO.

I cant see anymore so I dont try and use dots. I line all the tops of the front and back sight and shoot only off hand standing with no support and with every gun I own I can take the center out of the target. I line the tops up and center that on what I am shooting. I think they call it a 6 oclock position but .. I could be wrong .. Its just my prefered way to use sights on hand guns, feels faster and more natural and is easy because I am just using contrast.
I was shooting at 10-15 yards from a bench rest with a sand bag with the 6 o'clock sight picture..... typically I shoot at the 7-10 yard range. I shoot at an indoor range and shoot with a sheriff and a guy who shot competitively for 40 years. I'm unable to keep up with them shooting wise but I get a lot of advise and pointers from them. I sent the gun in to S&W because I felt that the 5-1/2" high is not typical and due to the fact that the rear sight was all the way down from the factory..... there must be some other issue in the gun that needs addressing. You are correct in that merely adjusting sights will not correct this issue...... Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
I was shooting at 10-15 yards from a bench rest with a sand bag with the 6 o'clock sight picture..... typically I shoot at the 7-10 yard range. I shoot at an indoor range and shoot with a sheriff and a guy who shot competitively for 40 years. I'm unable to keep up with them shooting wise but I get a lot of advise and pointers from them. I sent the gun in to S&W because I felt that the 5-1/2" high is not typical and due to the fact that the rear sight was all the way down from the factory..... there must be some other issue in the gun that needs addressing. You are correct in that merely adjusting sights will not correct this issue...... Thanks for your response.
Yes 5.5 inches at that range with the sight bottomed out sounds needs factory attention

1 - 8 of 8 Posts