Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stopped at a little bait shop out by the lake to get minnows... in looking around found five boxes of CCI #300 large pistol primers, 1000 count, priced at 14.99 a box.... and yep got all five..
guy at the counter said someone had ordered them by mistake and he didn't think they ever sell..( they sell ammo but not reloading supplys)
didn't do good fishing but was happy anyway.... fognbov

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Very nice, I picked up 1600 winchester small pistol primers and I don't even reload yet! I figure get them while I could.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Man, you got a deal! A friend picked up a couple of boxes of 100 for me at a gun store in Midland, Texas for about $5 a box. I was just happy to get them. Although things are loosening up, it's still gonna' take a while.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was at my LGS yesterday paying a visit when an order of reloading supplies arrived. The order consisted of several boxes of powder and (gasp!) 3 boxes of small pistol/rifle primers! Turned out to be about 30 lbs of powder and 20 or 25 of the 1000 piece cartons of primers! So, I picked up a box of the small BR primers and a box of the CCI small rifle primers. The best thing is that it did not require the passing of $$$ across the counter. A few days ago when the LGS was virtually out of ammo, I gave the store some 7.62x39 ammo and told the owner to "put it on account". He had some ammo to sell with the guns he had in stock (happy face) and a couple of days later I got the primers without putting a dent in my checking account (Happy face!) He has/had the CCI small rifle primers for $40 a carton and the Bench Rest primers for $70. That, my friends is much better than what they would cost on Gunbroker! Happy shooting!

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
I routinely interchange primers and always have but I also shoot over a chrono when building loads and I adjust the propellant charges accordingly. Light strikes are virtually non existent with me as all I use are match Federal and CCI benchrest primers as both brands tend to have softer cups.

·
Super Moderator
11,050 Posts
I just left a place selling old stock Winchester (white boxes) for $100-$120 per M. Crazy

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
never seen any benefit to building loads using a chronograph if you are not starting out with maximum loads -
Obvious to me you don't understand building accurate and repeatable downrange loads then. My Euhler is sop for me, always.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Obvious to me you don't understand building accurate and repeatable downrange loads then. My Euhler is sop for me, always.
jmho - been reloading rifle , pistol , shotgun , + black powder for 60+ years - unless you are developing loads for bench rest , competition , or maximum velocity , pressure using a chrono for load development is definitely not needed - in my circle of shooters + reloaders only 1 has a chrono - why overly complicate reloading procedures for little if any positive results ? -

·
Registered
15,141 Posts
Not going to get into it here and don't want to argue a point in process that I do all the time. Just like I anneal my cases after every firing ands use custom machined dies that exactly match the chamber I'm building loads for. How I do things. What you do and how you approach it, I really don't give a hoot anyway. Not germane to me and never will be.

Have fun and don't blow yourself up... A face full of fragmenting case and burning propellant can be interesting.

In closing on this, let me say that Brian Litz and I are good friends and if you know anything about external and internal ballistics, you should know who he is. If you don't, maybe you should look him up and read what he says....

Just because you've been loading for 60 years don't mean you do it correctly.

I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
60 + years + between 3 to 5k rounds per year + never one problem - discussed my loading practices in person with engineers from CCI , ALLIANT , + SPEER + not one of them recommended using a chrono at all - you can be perfectly safe reloading with out a chrono measuring velocities -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts