Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Harbor Freight has a nifty little counter sink, 1/2" X 90° , with 6 cutting edges and a 1/4" hex shaft that is perfect for deburring inside trimmed case mouths or removing the crimp in primer pockets using a cordless screwdriver or small battery drill. AND it only costs $2, no shipping.

The first 1/16" of the pointed tip should be ground off to prevent enlarging flash holes when you remover primer crimps. Countersink is a little over an inch long.

EDIT: 10-29-20: Sorry I posted this. After the third primer pocket I gave up on the HF countersink-- it is USELESS. Save your $2 for a better product.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Actually, I use an RCBS what ever you call it tool that dies the mouth chamfer and the outside chamfer to cut pocket crimps. I chuck it in a 3 jaw lathe chuck with the pointed end out. The pointed end won't cut onto the flash hole at all because the end has no cutting flutes.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I use one of these. I tried the reamer-in-the drill thingy but was concerned about consistency - mine not the tool's. The swager is much faster and works great with my Lee single stage press. Note that since the punch fits in the press shell holder and the collar goes over the punch, it may not work on a lot of presses.

Hector

Oops! I forgot to post the link. Here's the tool I use.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Anymore I use the RCBS swage die set. It's easy to use and produces consistent results, but a bit more spendy than your resourceful HF solution.
Harbor Freight has a nifty little counter sink, 1/2" X 90° , with 6 cutting edges and a 1/4" hex shaft that is perfect for deburring inside trimmed case mouths or removing the crimp in primer pockets using a cordless screwdriver or small battery drill. AND it only costs $2, no shipping.

The first 1/16" of the pointed tip should be ground off to prevent enlarging flash holes when you remover primer crimps. Countersink is a little over an inch long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.