Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the local shop today and saw an extremely nice (faint turn line & close to 98% blue) model 10 with 2" barrel.
It had the diamond magnas on it and the dealer said it was an original , no-dash model 10.
I had my toddler with me so I couldn't get a really good look at it.
Plan on going back tomorrow to check it out a little closer.
Can't remember for the life of me if it was a RB or SB.
Price was $360 + tax.
Is this price in line or too high?

He also had a 13-1 or 13-2 4" blued in 90% or better condition for around the same money.
It might have been $340 or so.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
WFR, I'm not an impartial poster, I'm on the look for a K-frame snubbie, so I'd pay it, even if I do have to sell my wife's grandmother's jewelry from Belgium....they didn't have 2" snubnose S&W's over there that I can tell, so I'm probably on safe ground. As to the Model 13, I'm totally out of my league and will defer to the gun brains, but the prices for anything these days worth a hoot are going up, way up, so these two prices don't scare me away at first sight. Probably doesn't help, but if you do buy either, PLEASE post pictures!

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I like my M-10-7 2" for a carry and house gun. I bought mine about
8-9 years ago NIB for $200. :eek: Prices have jumped since then, and mine is not as old as the one you're looking at. It's probably more of a collecter gun. I would not hesitate to pay $360 for a old NIB M-10, these days.......if I wanted one. ;) Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a no dash model 10 snubbie in similar condition.

I'd say the price is good (for this area). If I were looking for another, I'd pay that price.

Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Price check on a model 10 snub - **update**

Went back for a closer look today.
Inside the crane it looks like it read MOD 10 with no dash afterwards.
Serial number is C5451** which puts it at 1961-1962 according to SCSW.
However, on page 174 SCSW 3rd ed., 10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5 and 10-6 are all listed as 1961 or 1962.
I do not recall seeing the trigger guard screw but I wan't looking for it.
Could this be a later model that is mis-stamped?
It is a round butt which is begging for a Tyler t-grip.
It's definitely a pre-'67 model as they began with "D".
I'm not as well versed in early K-frames so I will defer to you experts!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Model 10 no dash is right.It also is a 4 screw.I have SN.c5247xx from 1961.4 screws are a lot harder to find than 3 or 5 screw guns.I also have a 10-5 from 1965 and another 10-5 from 1974.A whole lot of stuff was going on with model 10's at the same time.That's what makes them so fun to collect.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I got this snub nose a couple months ago, had to give $600 for it. It's in great shape and has the box; but, the best part is---they're both 10-7's. So, these are my kids.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
WFR said:
Price was $360 + tax.
Is this price in line or too high?

He also had a 13-1 or 13-2 4" blued in 90% or better condition for around the same money.
It might have been $340 or so.
I paid $295 for a very clean stainless 2" model 10 (-4, I think) about two years ago. This was in a large San Antonio gun shop.

I found a very clean 3" 13 (-3, I think) a few months ago for $300. This was in a pawn shop in central Texas.

Neither had the box or papers. Don't know if this information will help you, but it's all I've got.

Good luck. Both mine are keepers (the M10 currently lives in my old Dad's nightstand).

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Love that nickel finish.......mine is a blued model, with a high polish. ;) Bob

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't get by today but called the shop and they did confirm that it is a 4-screw model 10 no dash. There was a 4th screw in front of the trigger guard.
It's tempting me even though I really don't need it!
The fit, finish and bluing is old-school and in great shape for 45+ years old.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This 10-7 was used for about $225 a few years ago, I'd say yours is worth it.

This one looks better than the picture, and the action is nice & smooth after a good clean & lube.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went back and looked at it a 3rd time.
Gunsmith pulled the grips off and the serial # matches the gun.
Put it on layaway.
Pics to follow later.
WFR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts