Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently ran across a .44 Special Triple Lock. It has the 6 1/2 inch barrel, the nickel finish is pretty well flaked on the barrel, about 90% for the rest, and the grips are not original. The action is excellent, as well as the bore. Is $1,100 too much?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hey, David
Without photo(s) to examine, it's tough to say.
Some basics, though, and I hope they'll help...
A 90% blued gun has lots of 'character'; a peeling nickel finish not so much character as 'wear'. :?
Around here, the gun you describe would probably be a $ 1100 to $ 1200 piece.
Proper grips aren't tough to find ( I keep one or two pair around for 'just in case' ), and a thorough cleanup will often lessen the glaring difference between the nickel and the worn-off areas.
Bottom line?
In the end, the rarity of any Triplelock makes it a desirable gun.
Don

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have been looking for one myself. What somebody pays has a lot do do with "eye" appeal. like D Henry says worn Blue to my eye is honest wear. I have found finding the right stocks can be difficult and expensive have spent nearly 100 bucks at times. Some are less but not always there when I need them.

To my eye flaked nickel and wrong grips would make that price too high. If the revolver struck me when looking at it 1100 is a good price. Just to double check I looked at 3 web sites this morning all with Triple locks two of the three I have bought from before and trust 3rd has a good reputation. Triple locks list from 1100 to 1900 with some real nice ones mid range, nice to my eye that is. One just like you describe is 1100

Boats

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The serial number isn't 13010 is it? I saw that gun recently and passed. It has been floating around for quite some time.... it has issues beyond the stocks and finish. I think the seller is pretty motivated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you look around there are over a dozen for sale from reliable dealers. Priced more than that one but money better spent in the long run.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts