Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a price check on a 29-5 classic in excellent condition. 5 1/2 inch barrel, blued. No scratches or wear marks, except for light cylinder drag. It has a "trigger job"...not sure what this means only that the pull is light and very smooth. It is not the original trigger, but I have the original. Has the original rubber grip, plus a Pachmyr (sp) grip. Original box, sight adjusting tool, and manual still wrapped in plastic. Love the gun, but want to convert it into a 629 stainless with a shorter barrel. Not sure how much it's worth. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm guessing its either a 5" or a 6" measure from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel.

The 5" 29-5 classics will prolly bring more $ IMO. I'd guess $600 + or perhaps higher. I'd say right at $550 to $650 for the 6".

I have a 5" 629 classic that I paid $650 shipped for and am very happy. (It's not for sale either ;) )

Put the original trigger back in, the incorrect trigger may cause some buyers to be skittish.

Good luck with all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. $600-$650 is about what I expected. I'll go ahead and have the original trigger put on. On another note, can you tell me anything about 629's. I keep reading about lock vs no lock and cast metal vs not cast, but don't really know what this means. Could you suggest a ss 629 with a 4" barrel that I might want to look at?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'd look for a 629 4" that is at least -1 through -5. Those should have all the forged parts. The cast or MIM metal parts are ok but the older ones are nicer IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to sound like a total nube, but can you explain a bit more about the -1 and -5. I assume it's the serial number? but where in the number does it occur? and thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
No problem. the "-" comes right after the model # ie. 629-2 etc the dash varaitions are different enginering changes from no dash to dash one the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders were discontinued. Then each dash change after that somthing else was done to improve or modify the gun.

All the guns smith makes end up with the dashes as they change.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts